Friday, September 29, 2017

If you're in a good mood.


At this time of the year 8:28 pm is the perfect time to watch satellites. The just below the horizon sun reflecting off their bellies as they saunter across the sky. The trick is remembering that they can come at you from all directions. Their slow  progress quite different from that of an aircraft. Bob and Sophie are delighted Angus is on his back looking at the sky. Sophie shows great interest in the glass of 2010 Pomerol that her master is carefully guarding. They both fall asleep cuddled into me. One on either side. Sheepdogs and their flock. Any passing villagers must wonder at the madness of a foreigner and his dogs lying out in the garden in the dark. Hopefully, they can't see the glass of Pomerol.


This morning it's windy. Sophie's hair reflects the change in weather. After a trip to the market , a bowl of water and a shared croissant she settles down for a nap. There is an unspoken contract between sister and brother. '' I'll nap. You guard ". Bob takes his responsibilities seriously.


The Old Farmer polishes the venerable Mercedes to an almost as new shine. He's taking the Belgian lady out for lunch. I ask him where he's going. '' To a little place by the motorway slip road ".  Then, to educate me further, he adds " It's an American restaurant called McDonalds. They're open from ten until ten ". He repeats the Mac-dough-nowld slowly to make sure I've understood. Angus raises his eyebrows and emits a soft appreciative whistle in what, he hopes, is a suitably impressed reaction.

'The Font' phones to say that we should have flu jabs. Angus has never had a flu jab. This years flu - for reasons that I would know were I listening and not distracted by Sophie chasing a spider with diva like theatricality - is likely to be severe. '' It's apparently best if you have the injection when you're in a good mood " says 'The Font' displaying a logic that Angus, after forty years, is still coming to terms with.

Never let it be said the Germans don't have a sense of humour : https://twitter.com/GermanyDiplo/status/913055591429439488








12 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Seeing the glass Of Pomerol would probably have encouraged visitors...and possible a party.
Remember living just off Escherheimerlandstrasse in Frankfurt....long street sign.

Taste of France said...

The Old Farmer is absolutely adorable.

WFT Nobby said...

Let's hope the Belgian Lady shares the Old Farmer's delightful lack of sophistication.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
It was the 'little place by the motorway sliproad' which sent up the red flags in my head... YAM xx

Poppy Q said...

I always get the flu jab as I work at a hospital, and if you can do something so small to avoid dying you should. The needles now are small and you barely feel it.

That being said I still got the flu this year. It made me terribly sick for two weeks, and gave me the worst headaches I have ever had and a long lingering cough. It filled our hospital beds for months and made people miserable.

Good luck.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Bailey Bob and I love the thought of you in the garden, sky gazing on your back, with Bob and Sophie cuddled into you on either side sleeping. The glass of 2010 Pomerol finishes the ambiance of this picture in our minds. Pure Bliss!

Camille said...

We frequently watch for the International Space Station (ISS). Visit the NASA website to find times that Skylab will pass over your area of France. It's lovely to watch it track slowly across the night sky and I always think of those brave humans on board.

Coppa's girl said...

It's the lack of sophistication that makes the Old Farmer such an endearing character. You too, Angus, lying on your back in the garden with a sleeping PON cuddled up each side of you - but the glass of Pomerol hints at a deeper sophistication rarely found in deepest France profonde

Kerrie Roberts said...

I believe the latest flu has been particularly nasty in Australia this southern winter and has now reached UK, so perhaps that vaccination is a reasonable idea. I've been been offered a free one here for the first time so I think I'll take them up on the offer, just in case.

Unknown said...

Such a lovely and tranquil picture of early twilight.

Robin in Umbria said...

I am so happy to have found your blog{s}, and have enjoyed many hours reading thru the archives. The antics of your darling puppies bring such a smile to my face.
I live in Umbria, and was quite fascinated to hear of you first living in France, then in Umbria, and finally in France. I would love to be able to have a "chat" about the advantages in each country.

MOPL said...

So how is the painting going? Done with a glass of pomerol?