Britain has a new Prime Minister, long suffering Canada faces more tariffs and that 'unpleasantness' in the Gulf continues to rumble away. A man being interviewed by the BBC on Iran uses the history laden phrase ' one more push and its done '. Plus ca change. Here Angus is surprised to find out that another birthday has rolled around. It's only what seems like three or four months since the last one. Time, like chocolate bars, seems to have suffered from shrinkflation.
A great view from the courtyard across the Bay this morning. We can see all the way up the coast to the high cliffs by Arbroath. Today we walk briskly down to the shore as there's a chill to the northern air that hints high summer will soon start to segue into early autumn. Over the last few days the wheat has taken on that rich pre-harvest golden hue. The next time I see the farmer I'll ask him when he plans to start bringing in the crop. It can't be long. No quail this morning but the young partridges do a good job of providing our morning entertainment. They dart in and out of the shelter of the tall wheat stalks.
In town young English fathers are out and about with their excited offspring. They clamber over the rocks and scream with delight as they paddle in the cold water. This is the start of the English school holidays and the town now has a lot of family groups who eat fish and chips, go to bed early and are up and about as soon as the sun rises. They inhabit a very different world from that of the golfers in the 5 star hotels. For an eight year old is there anything that can match the delights of rock climbing on the shore before going to a cafe for a breakfast bacon roll ?
By late morning the town will be full of day trippers soaking up the sun on the beach or looking for ice creams. If possible we avoid doing anything between eleven in the morning and four thirty in the afternoon as parking is simply impossible. A number of parking spots were taken away during Covid so that the cafe owners could expand onto the pavement. What was planned a shirt term measure has become permanent.
Non-U behaviour :https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/2026/07/20/bryson-dechambeau-accused-of-threatening-to-call-donald-trump-in-row-over-open-penalty/
5 comments:
Hari OM
Happy Birthday, Angus. May there be many more, no matter how frequent!
The accent artical was interesting. I hadn't realised until a friend pointed it out a few years back that my Aussie accent kicks in when I am talking about my life and times there, the Scots broadens when discussing that place, and that I even have a slight Mumbai accent from my time spent there. I have no idea of the shift myself... YAM xx
Yes, Happy Birthday, Angus!
I also found the articles on accents interesting, particularly the suggestion that about twelve is the magic age. I often noticed that my Japanese friends who spoke unaccented English (or should I say American English?) had all lived in the US before that age and then kept it up their English upon returning to Japan. The article on the perils of looking Mexican was also interesting and breakfast table discussion-provoking. It really annoys me when people of Italian or Irish or whatever descent complain about immigrants, but I've been assuming that the Hispanic population will eventually become part of the blended mix and then start complaining about the next group to arrive - maybe the white South African "refugees"?
Happy Birthday🎉 hope you have a wonderful celebration!
Can I have the 5 star hotel and climbing on the rocks. Happy Birthday, and yes they do seem to happen much more often than before.
Another happy birthday wish! The photo of the string around the Episcopal portico is quite interesting to me. The links today are also interesting. The title of the immigrant article is very apropos.
Post a Comment