Thursday, August 27, 2026

Ethel.

A Republican Congressman interviewed on the radio tells us that the American President is 'uncommonly shrewd'. This is an unexpected take but sounds remarkably lucid. He then goes on to say' We are winning very big everywhere ' which is less eloquent. I'd like to say that listening to this all encompassing statement I feel my cares about the world ebb away like dew in the morning sun, but I don't. 

The sheep in the field by the mouth of the estuary are enjoying life. The grass is long and the weather mild. They'll stay here for another six or seven weeks before moving to more sheltered grazing well away from the coastal gales. The practical men who look after the golf links have names for all the sheep. Can you guess which one they call Ethel ? This  discovery makes us laugh aloud.


Each passing day brings more signs that the new semester is about to kick off. This morning the gardeners are busy watering the grass and trimming the flower borders outside chapel . They're whistling. When was the last time you heard people whistling ?


The hydrangeas outside the Classics department look as if they've enjoyed a long sunny summer.


It's the start of the American Labor Day holiday . The town has a 51st State feel to it. Helicopters clatter above us bringing the 1% from their Gulfstreams parked in Edinburgh to the 5 star hotels. By the club house teams of excited golfers are lined up ready for the off. We chat to the two third year medics who live next door to the wee house in town. They've got summer jobs as caddies and are  sharing their secrets of how to play the treacherous fairways with a group of  hedge fund managers from Stamford, Connecticut.  The hedgies seem keen to listen and the lads are hopeful they will be good tippers. They have adopted a caddying style that combines the deferential with the cheeky. The start of a new term brings with it all sorts of unexpected costs. One of them tells us 'freshers week' has really, really cool parties. We nod knowingly at this although neither of us has any idea what a 20 year old medic might think constitutes a cool party. It certainly won't be a bowl of fruit punch and a party hat.


I pop to the bookstore to pick up a new title ( that's been highly recommended ) and then stop for a coffee at the fancy new hotel near the aquarium. It's not warm but it's warm enough to sit outside and watch the world go by. The bar man is an early returning Classics student who doesn't complain when asked to bring my coffee outside. This willingness is a rarity in the local hospitality industry which thinks a warm welcome is 'What do you want ?'. 


8 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Well, if Ethel is the darling at front and right, I think the name befits her! Seeing all those shorts on the greens is making me shiver; it's a tad on the chill over this way, rain hanging off the edge of the hills. I noted a few leaves already on the turn... YAM xx

sillygirl said...

"Uncommonly shrewd" huh - some people aren't in touch with reality.

JoAnn in Maryland said...

Are you going to reveal Ethel’s identity so we may share the laughter?

Travel said...

Do I detect a little bit of understated sarcasm in the first paragraph? How anyone can still believe HeWhoShallNotBeNameds lies is beyond me.

Jim Davis said...

"uncommonly shrewd" I think not. I would have to say that Ethel is front right in that photo. Cheers!

Stephanie said...

I must confess, along with JoAnn, I don't know Ethel. Ethel Kennedy? Ethel Rosenberg? My grandmother Ethel?

Boud said...

Labor Day weekend is not till September 7 this year. So whoever's starting now certainly has more free time than most! Also the $$ that goes with it.

Anonymous said...

Ethel from "I Love Lucy"?