Wednesday, July 29, 2026

End of July calm.

Forest fires in France and a surprise Iranian attack on Jordan the lead stories on this mornings news. South of the border the heatwave continues. It's going to be 30C in London. Here todays high will be in the low teens. This means local pre-schoolers and their parents will need to find an alternative to the beach. The  poppies seem to like this chilly weather. Usually they've finished blooming by late July. This year they're still going strong.  We wave at one of the American fathers heading off on his bike to a faculty meeting. He's wearing day-glo orange cycle clips . When was the last time you saw anyone wearing cycle clips ? Earlier in the week we saw a smartly dressed  American youngster ( presumably here for an interview ) wearing sleeve bands. I have a pair that I inherited from my father but I haven't worn them in forty years. Guess cycle clips and sleeve bands are back in fashion. Can't be long before kipper ties join them.


The first two of this mornings foursomes are of the hearty back slapping variety. It's hard to determine whether they're old friends or are strangers overcome by the excitement of the moment.


Two gentlemen are sitting on a bench by the clubhouse. They're both smoking large cigars. They seem to have been here for some time. Both are wearing Titleist baseball caps. I'd reckon a full 50% of visitors sport Titleist headgear. Last year this brand was a rarity. This year its dominant.


The Royal and Ancients gardeners have been busy.


Lots of young gulls around. Their parents seem to leave them to fend for themselves after a few days. Between speeding cars and starvation the mortality rate for young gulls must be at least 30%. Possibly higher.

5 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Actually, Herring Gulls will continue to feed their fledglings for at least a couple and sometimes as much as six months after leaving the nest, if the chick itself is demanding enough. They mate for life and are very attentive to each other and their broods. Chicks don't reach full maturity until four years old... (life-long birder with a soft spot for the Gulls of the world!) YAM xx

Lisa in France said...

I had to look up "kipper tie." It sounded like it should be skinny, like a kipper, but it seems to be exactly the opposite. If what I read is correct, I hope they don't come back! On the other hand, I hope the new seasick preventative is the real deal, as my husband is just like the women described in the piece - he once became hopelessly ill watching the fireworks from one of those big old sailing ships docked at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

Travel said...

The right colors and I might buy a kipper tie, I have only worn a tie twice in the past decade.

JoAnn in Maryland said...

I, too, had to look up kipper tie. New to me! It appears that the fellows on the bench smoking big cigars have succeeded in keeping others, who might want to sit, away. I love the wild poppies!

Stephanie said...

I'm glad the glorious red poppies show no sign of waning. I sometimes go back to your posts featuring the marvelous sunflower fields. My heart goes out to those being threatened by the fires. I read this morning that Europe is the most rapidly warming continent and by a good measure.