Monday, August 31, 2026

Tajik quality control.

A nip in the air this morning. We remain resolute in our determination not to turn on the heating until mid September. However, that mid September target may be adjusted to 'beginning of '.


The farmer is back to harvest the potatoes in the small triangular field that runs down to the sea. This small plot was 'overlooked' by the boys when they were here on Saturday. It seems that after darkness fell they were keen to head home for their dinner and 'forgot. this corner.


On our morning walk from the courtyard to the shore we stop to see what's going on. A group of cheerful Tajiks sit on a bench in a covered area at the back of the harvester. Here they can check for any damaged potatoes on a conveyor belt linked to a plough at the front of the machine . Approved potatoes then pass onto a hoist that disgorges them into boxes . The whole process busy but efficient. Youngest son races a small electric 4x4 across the field to see how fast it will go. His elder brother cheers him on. The Tajiks laugh.


A rather jazzy tartan kilt on a model in an outfitters window. There is a pashmina in the same tartan next to it. Ideal for couples who wish to their coordinate their outfits. The crimson bow tie does not improve matters. The tout ensemble has something of a popular stage and screen feel to it.

6 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Vaguely like a Fitzpatrick, but more likely one of those "come in and have a tartan made up for you" patterns. It is often forgotten that the majority tartans were an invention resulting from the collusion of Queen Victoria and Walter Scott to romanticise the highland dress... YAM xx

paphosmuseum said...

I, too, am fighting the heating urge. But I'm off to SW France on Weds. so, if I can make it through two more nights, the world of 30° temps awaits, and I won't need oil till October

Lisa in France said...

The tartan colors are very nice, but I strong disapprove of what the Japanese refer to as "pair look." The piece on artificial intelligence was thoughtful and thought-provoking. At least since the Internet, and probably well before, the tendency has been to leave new technologies relatively unregulated until they reached some level of maturity, so as to allow them to explore their potential, but that idea, and the idea of self-regulation, seems more dangerous this time around. (Especially with people like Jared Kushner running around, thinking that everything is more or less like a real estate deal.)

Travel said...

The 2nd of September could be seen as mid- it is not the first, not the last, it is what is in between.

JoAnn in Maryland said...

I never knew that hieroglyphics could be written, and then read, in so many different directions. I remember that in high school my boyfriend and I had several matching shirts. Fortunately that fad has passed,

rottrover said...

NO to that red bow tie!