Too good a morning to stay at home. The weather once again warm and cloudless. After listening to the down beat six am news bulletin ( The French budget, televised executions and America allying with Russia ) we make a spur of the moment decision to pop into Edinburgh. The 8:38 train from Aberdeen is on time and gets there at 9:30. This allows us to visit the Apple store opposite the station to see the new fold out i-Phone. Disappointingly, we discover it doesn't arrive in the UK until the 23rd of October. A helpful young woman tells us to order ours now as the demand is strong. We thank her but decide we'll wait until we see one in the flesh before taking the plunge. The 'crease' in the middle of the screen may ( or may not ) be an irritating feature. Is it the sort of thing you can slip in your pocket ? Is it heavier than the current i-Phone ? Is it just a more portable i-Pad ? At a starting price of £1999 in the UK it certainly isn't cheap.
Edinburgh is busy with tourists. It always is these days. The locals are starting to wear their winter outfits. Edinburgh has a street layout that can channel the wind with toe numbing ferocity. A frisbee carrying dog at the traffic lights opposite the Balmoral seems oblivious to the crowds.
While 'The Font' chooses artichokes and waits for the prosciutto to be sliced Angus wanders off to buy some wine. It's along time since we've drunk Italian wines. Both of us have become firm believers that French is difficult to beat. Perhaps our taste buds will 'zing' again as we rediscover Sassicias ?
Onto Peter Jones for some new saucepan technology. I have no interest in this part of our shopping day and cannot tell you why a new saucepan is required or what the 'new' technology is.
A cheese threat :https://www.the-scientist.com/a-mysterious-fungus-threatens-cheese-in-the-northeast-us-75114
An app for art lovers ... or the bored traveller with an hour or two to spare while waiting for a train :https://art-exhibitions-search.vercel.app/
The rise and fall of the plasma screen :https://www.construction-physics.com/p/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-plasma-screen
How will we keep our data safe ? :https://ai-frontiers.org/articles/ai-could-end-encryption-as-we-know-it
8 comments:
Mon Dieu, what a price for just a phone! They're having a laugh.
My daughter was at school with a Valvona and Crolla offspring. Mary Contini came into their Primary 2 classroom to teqch them how to make pasta from scratch. I have photos of very floury, very happy small people around the manual pasta machine.
Hari OM
,... I spotted the Westfield logo at St James...!!! The Aussie brand has grown beyond recognition - I just checked as see this literally only opened this month. Yeech...
That exhibitions website needs to know that "all cities" isn't just London and Paris. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sydney, Melbourne...????? And since when did auction houses count as galleries? Clearly I'm not bored enough! YAM xx
The saleswoman could be bluffing, as it seems the new iPhone is not selling very well in the US.
You've left us in suspense about the Sassicaia? A long time ago in Tokyo, my husband and I splurged on a bottle one night, and then, walking home, I tried to pet a dog at the local Shinto shrine, got bit on the nose and ended up in the emergency room. I haven't tried that wine again in all the years since, although I noticed that the new wine shop in our neighborhood has put out a big display in the window.
A quick trip. It will be a while before I spend that much on a phone.
When we were in New York at an Italian restaurant, my husband ordered a bottle of Chianti. The wine steward recommended a Sassicaia and also referred to it as a Super Tuscan. We took his advice and drank every last drop.
What's your opinion on this story about Scottish students at St Andrews feeling discriminated against by rich English and American students? https://www.instagram.com/p/Ddi1FbzgDC5/?srtk=cnJva25tM3ZibHJu
I don't think the new iPhones are released here in the US yet, though they didn't get very good reviews.
This was all over the news ( and the blog ) a couple of weeks ago. Some kids, sadly, have a difficult time adjusting to leaving home. As a Scot from a small island I never felt discriminated against. Could it be a big culture shock coming from a small village to a university that is hard to get into and attracts students from all over the world ? : Yes. Is there such a thing as culture shock ? : Yes. I'd think the 25% of students who are Scots and who thrive here are probably more indicative of what's really happening. That of course doesn't make for a good 'chip on the shoulders' type story. I also think that it says something positive about a small country like Scotland that it has so many world class universities ,Edinburgh and Glasgow among them, and students who want to study here and feel safe here. Sadly, that also doesn't make for a good story.
Post a Comment