The hotel dog sits at the garden gate and observes us as we head off for our morning 10,000 steps. He watches us go in silence. Hotel dogs can become quite blase about comings and goings. For them it's all part of the job.
We've stayed a bit longer than we originally planned but later today we shall be heading North to Scotland on the 'fast' LNER service. I've always said that anyone who travels by rail on a Sunday, when the train companies repair the tracks, is mad. We'll soon find out if that's true. Let's hope any delays are 'manageable'.
The Minster is quiet. The colder weather means the tourist numbers have thinned down. On top of that Sunday morning visitors are nervous that they might get caught up in a religious service and tend to delay their visits until later. We pretty much have the place to ourselves apart from some quiet American couples who are consulting a well thumbed Pevsner guide. This is the time of the year when those in the know arrive in the UK to enjoy the combination of better pre-equinox weather and off season hotel rates.
7 comments:
Hari OM
Wishing you a smooth and uninterrupted return trip! YAM x
Although I am a fairly faithful reader, I don't think it would be much fun sitting around the breakfast table with Phillips O'Brien. (Although to be fair, it probably isn't much fun these days sitting around the breakfast table with me.) The Kings are quite wonderful. Hope you are wrong about Sunday trains.
I so enjoyed your sharing York with us. I'd be hard pressed to name my favorite place in Scotland, but York at this time of year certainly is top of the list. We're currently at our newly acquired wee cottage on the coast of Maine and enjoying the lack of sound, except of course, for the sea and wild life and maybe an occasional lobster boat. A situation that thrills me to pieces.
May and September are nice times to travel.
Congrats on your cottage. It sounds wonderful.
The shoulder seasons are always the best times to travel. Thank you for the O'Brien piece.
The kings are remarkable. I wonder how long it took to create them all.
Post a Comment