Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Observations

Driving into town we see a remarkable rainbow. We see a lot of rainbows but this one is a classic. The smoke from the Canadian wild fires has returned and is refracting the light in unusual ways.


One solitary and rather dopey looking bee on a garden chair . I'll delay trimming the lavender until I'm sure they've all definitely gone for good.


Pumpkins appear in Starbucks. Presumably identical plastic pumpkins have appeared in every Starbucks in every corner of the globe ?


We're off to York for a few days. Someone at Stanford recommended this as something light to read on the train.


The stand is now going up for the Dunhill golf tournament. The inhabitants of the super expensive apartments will (once again) have their views blocked.

1 comment:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Hmmmm.... it pains me a little to disagree strongly, but according to the Scottish Fire Service: "Scotland is not currently being affected by smoke from Canadian wildfires; air pollution levels across the country are low. Any recent smoke concerns in Scotland have instead been related to local domestic incidents, such as the major wildfire in the Cairngorms National Park earlier in the summer, rather than transatlantic smoke from Canada." Indeed, I then checked the Met Office info: "There is no smoke or poor air quality reported over St Andrews, with current particulate matter and pollutant levels measuring as good or fair." I had to check because I can't imagine the east would be affected but the west not - given the direction of drift. In fact, that lovely photograph is so clear that it is obvious there is no smoke there.... I'm worried Angus has been affected by a touch of the "DT"s with such fake news! He's very definitely forgiven, though, for his care for the bees... and he and The Font are wished safe travels to York. YAM xx