On the news this morning we learn that the American Vice President has shared his belief that " I'm doing as much of Gods work as possible and if that leads to the end times then I'm ok with that ". A self styled friend of the VP is interviewed. He informs us that 'On matters of immigration JD is more in touch with Catholic doctrine than the Pope'. The interviewer lapses into silence at this point.
Still no sign of the replacement part for the cabbage harvesting machine. The Dutch manufacturer has never known a machine break down so soon after being bought. The inference is that it's the farmers fault . This is making relations between the distributor and the farmer somewhat antagonistic toxic fraught.
There's a group of Japanese teenagers standing outside the front door of the wee house in town filming a group of flustered American retirees who are shouting and arguing. A woman is calling a man in the drivers seat of a mini van 'dumb as a box of rocks' while a man in the back of the van is loudly telling the driver to 'get out of here '. A gentleman from San Bernardino has attempted a U turn and misjudged both his speed and the length of the Mercedes . He's hit the back of the little BMW and lost two hub caps in the process. Under stress he's pressed all the buttons on the Mercs dashboard and now the satellite emergency location system is emitting a klaxon like noise not unlike that you hear in movies involving the melt down of a nuclear reactor.
I introduce myself as the BMW's owner. 'Oh' he says in a tone of voice that makes it clear that Angus is the last person he wants to see. The conversation starts with ' I'm not used to driving on the wrong side of the road ' before sharing, with a surprising degree of candour, his thoughts about driving overseas. His wife, who is still shouting, finds their rental agreement. I phone the company in Edinburgh who ask me to send through some photos. Five minutes later they're back on the phone saying they'll pay for the repairs and provide us with a rental car in the interim. A replacement van for the Mercedes driver will be arranged. The drivers wife finally calms down. I reassure them that the damage is superficial, that they don't need to report it to the Police and that they should just go back to their hotel and relax. They are surprised all the paper work has been taken care of. The drivers view on 'overseas' driving regulations remains unchanged.
This morning the insurers body shop was on the phone at seven asking for more photos and for some dates when they can work on the car. " Looks like cracks in at least four body panels so better allow five or six days " says a man who seems to enjoy his work. The insurance companies have been efficient and easy to work with. Who would ever have expected that ?
9 comments:
Hari OM
My goodness, a post with a delusional 'angel', an apopleptic farmer, and a car repairer who can detect 'four cracked panels' from a photo which means the insurance company better watch out... add in a floating island (minus the custard) and it's almost apocalyptic reading this morning! YAM xx
Coincidence that you shared an article on the demolition derby along with your car mishap? Smash, bang, and civilization...
I somehow doubt that most Americans (or others) are quite as ready for the end times as the Vice President appears to be. He is such a strange duck. I'm sorry about your car, but it sounds as though you handled things very well. I hope the rest of the insurance saga goes as smoothly.
When I was in my teens, I spent a summer going around various county fairs in upstate New York. We were there to participate in the equestrian events but we surely never missed the demolition derbies. Or the Monster Truck events.
Sorry to the world about JD and his boss, mistakes have been made. I hope the American followed my advice on renting a car in another country, ALWAYS buy the full coverage zero out of pocket insurance, it is outrageously priced, but when you need it, it is worth every pence. Oh, and don't rent a car in a country that drives on the opposite side of the road, I have twice and NEVER AGAIN.
The Vice President's grasp of Christianity is peculiar at best.
I expect that the Pope might want to discuss how JD even got confirmed by the priest who did so.
Brilliant! Many citizens of the US (I am one) have many questions about the VP's grasp of many things in addition to Christianity.
Americans! (I am one) Seems that many of them seem to feel that shouting is the answer to most everything. Wonder where that idea came from........? Well done Angus, you got it sorted quickly and with no shouting.
What a glorious sunrise picture! How wonderful it would be if all "minor" traffic accidents were resolved so efficiently. I'm going to be cranky for a moment and say that I value this blog as a respite from the insanity we are experiencing in America, not to read JD Vance's nonsense.
I agee about the beautiful sunrise photo. It' amazing hw quickly things cn resolve in fender-bender situations when someone remains calm. It must be your background as a man in a dark suit.
Post a Comment