Tuesday, September 25, 2018

''Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace."


A chill 10 degrees this morning and a completely cloudless sky lit by a full moon. Time to order the heating oil. Later, there's the fattest, happiest bee I've ever seen flitting around the flowers by the swimming pool. It's making the most of this autumn sunshine.


Out along the ridge. Dogs and master sit on the concrete storm drain and watch the large white winged Kite swoop low over the valley making its high pitched twoo twoo call.  Big as an eagle and graceful as a linnet. Two affable dogs by my side, warm sun on my face, a silk like breeze and one of natures aristocrats swooping low over the valley floor. I tell the PONs that of all the rocks hurtling round the universe this is the best one to call home. Sophie takes this philosophical moment as a call to go off in search of deer poo. Bob and Angus discuss Noel Francisco's politics and wonder why the word dystopic has suddenly started to turn up so frequently in news stories. Bob rests his head on my knee and snores gently.


Todays croissant looks good but the dough is more like bread than croissant. Probably kneaded once rather than twice. We give it a 7.5/10.


In 'The Fonts' absence we stay up late. A game of touch rugby exhausts the PONs. Angus watches a show where a Scottish chef visits a failing American restaurant and attempts to put it to rights. Tonight we're in Jersey City and a Greek restaurant where the food in the larder is mouldy and the Chef has had no formal training. '' Jesus helps me with my recipes " he informs Chef Ramsay who promptly says something that is bleeped out.

After that there's a programme about police in Chicago. It's difficult to work out what's going on as the original dialogue is covered by a badly dubbed French translation.It appears that an El Salvadorian gang is muscling in on the territory of a Puerto Rican drug syndicate. An amazing amount of mayhem ensues. Somewhere amidst the multiple explosions and creative tortures Angus and Bob doze off. Later we watch a nominee for the US Supreme Court tell cable TV viewers that he '' never sexually assaulted anyone ". One of those bizarre moments people tell their grand kids about.



Sophie takes herself off and opts to sleep in the downstairs library. A good spot to be in case I should wake up in the middle of the night and decide to make a bacon sandwich. She gives me her " I'll be here if you need me '' look and then goes back to sleep.


And here's a calm little Norwegian song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BObrIGWN6A&feature=youtu.be&t=133

9 comments:

Emm said...

Oh dear, it sounds as if the baker fell out of his double Axel. Too bad.
I have such Bookcase Envy every time you show a picture of your library.

WFT Nobby said...

No doubt Sophie has worked out that bacon sandwiches are more likely in the Font's absence.

Poppy Q said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a sunny autumn afternoon. It is a cool 10degrees here too - but spring sunshine was felt nice on my way home from work.

I too have library envy. Alas I decided to get rid of my books a few years ago, as I had too many moves and was tiring of lugging the books and bookcases around, as each house has got progressively smaller and books got more and more expensive. Luckily we have a good library close to home and I can take out as many as I need to quench my need to read.

Susan said...

I think your 'kite' with its 'white' wings is a male harrier with pale grey wings. They are beautiful creatures to watch.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Chef R is profane and blunt... but gets results. On insomnia nights I too watch the transformation - often with the sound muted! YAM xx

Sheila said...

Neil Francisco may be very conservative, but it remains to be seen whether given the chance he would go so far as to remove Mueller. "Constitutional crisis" is frequently bandied about in the press over here.

sillygirl said...

Somehow I ended up going to this from your added thing to watch - thought it would brighten all our days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZZmW59Ci5g

Linda said...

Pretty sure the Norwegian song is Scottish originally, but I can't dredge the title of my nearly 60-something brain!

Angus said...

Yes, you're right. Although the music on either side of the North Sea is very similar.