Razor clams stretching along the beach in a strip ten metres wide and at least a mile long. Why the sea should throw them onto the sand in such large numbers is yet another of those mysteries that challenge the minds of early morning beach walkers. Dogs love the 'crunching' sound their paws make when they walk over them.
There has been great excitement in town. Three Police cars were seen drawn up in a line near the church. It's rare to see one Police car let alone three. People stopped to gawp at the sight. Seems a shop owner had observed someone shoplifting. The paper this morning tells us a woman of 40 and a man of 49 have been arrested. For the local dog owners this drama is the only topic of conversation.
Elgars calmest piece of music ? Ideal background as we enter the final third of the year :https://youtu.be/IwdeqVmXlHk?t=109
The Nepal disaster - some thoughts :https://rogerpielkejr.substack.com/p/what-actually-caused-the-nepal-disaster
An important election :https://x.com/PedderSophie/status/2093978196064506067
The comments about Copenhagen and Edinburgh halfway through were interesting. The rest is written in a modern style that I just don't get. When did UnConferences become a thing ? :https://benyeoh.substack.com/p/you-dont-know-who-you-need-to-meet
12 comments:
Have you read Marion Todd’s police procedurals set in St Andrews?
Maybe not your thing.
Thank you. I haven't read it but shall pop down to Toppings to order a copy. For such a quiet town a lot of murder mysteries seem to be set here.
Hari Om
I'm a fan of Marion Todd's police series - a little stilted in the first, but growing ever better as such series do. Not quite up to the standard of another Scottish female author I love, Lin Anderson, but certainly equal to the excellent Northumberland-set books from LJ Ross...If Angus enjoys this sort of reading, I can highly recommend the books of Stuart MacBride, and Neil Lancaster... the first focuses on Aberdeenshire and the second's main character livees in Culross and works out of Tullyallen. (Yes, I love Tartan Noir!)
So someone arrived early to practise the course before the Dunhill Links comp, eh? And all those razor shells have left a raft of naked Spoots just below the tideline! (The animals themselves are rarely uprooted - except by hungry people.) YAM xx
Lovely musical selection this morning. I’m surprised there aren’t more frequent incidents of shoplifting in St. Andrews - so many tourists. The well-known golfer shall remain anonymous. I wonder if he is playing solo or with an equally well known group of friends. The piece on the Nepal disaster was very interesting. The author makes a strong case for restoring aid from the Trump administration - there and other places around the globe.
I wonder if the golfer would prefer to just be left alone, or if his ego feeds on the adoration of the crowd.
Oh boy - lots of good book tips today. I usually read mysteries or police procedurals before bed, but I've recently run out of ideas, so this is all very timely.
He was surrounded by camera crew so ego may be a major factor in getting his day started early
Thank you from another Tartan Noir reader. So many new authors!
Thank you for the book references. I just started reading Mrs. Plansky's Revenge by Spencer Quinn.
Have you read Tana French?? Her books are set in Dublin, but are very good.
Sharon mentions Spencer Quinn. I hadn't heard about Mrs. Plansky's Revenge, but I have read all the Chet and Bernie books, which any dog lover should enjoy, narrated as they are by Chet.
Another Bernie and Chet fan here. The local library carries Mrs Plansky's Revenge, so I put my name down on the waiting list. It will hard to compete with the lovable flunkie from K9 Police school though...(I believe a cat was involved)
Post a Comment