Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Why bother about the weather ?


Above The Rickety Old Farmhouse a cold front from Russia battles it out with a warm front from the Sahara. Lightning flashes, thunder rolls, rain cascades down, the wind wails . Bob pops out quickly for his late evening 'comfort break'. He soon returns. His sister, oblivious to the elements, is in one of her sniff every flower moods. No quick garden outing for her. She demonstrates complete indifference to her masters increasingly urgent calls to come inside. After twenty minutes she is found sitting in the orchard watching the electrical storm arc across the sky. She is 'encouraged' inside.


This morning the builders are due to arrive to fit the new garage doors. They were originally scheduled to be installed in early September but the builder had to reschedule. Various excuses followed. It then became a " Don't worry M'Ongoose ! We'll have them fitted by Christmas '' item. Here we are in mid-April a mere seven months late. 



Within minutes of posting the blog this morning the first comment arrives.  Some malevolent bot has sent a vulgar anti-semitic diatribe. It's brimming over with violence and vitriol. Venomous obscenity in twenty bullet points. What it's doing coming to a dog blog in France is beyond comprehension. I don't think I've ever seen a expression of such undiluted evil. How did it manage to worm its way into the comments ?  To get the day back on track I go and have a second shower.

By contrast this is intriguing : https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/orangutans-use-plant-extracts-to-treat-pain1/






15 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

What a horrible invasion of your beautiful and life affirming blog. I hope your shower (hot I hope) managed to wash away they contamination. I wonder if any of your readers have suffered similarly. (Nothing's reached Bertie's blog least so far).

Angus said...

Usually McAfee sifts out the dross. This bot was clever enough to worm its way through the security. I'm not great on cyber analysis but it had ( I think ) a .za address. The algorithm that sent it to deepest deepest France profonde perhaps tied to a random word in yesterdays post ? Hope no one else has the misfortune to read such base depravity. In my 62 years I've never seen the like.

Emm said...

Oh, dear. I know that various blogs receive horrid comments, but I'd hoped that somehow the denizens of the ROF might be spared.
The internet has many good and useful qualities, but those seem to be countered in part by man's inhumanity to man. And dog.
Bob's side-eye in the last picture says it all.

Angus said...

The blog gets its fair share on horrid comments - the filters usually deal with them. All part of the joys of social media. The corrosiveness of this mornings comment was something altogether different. 'The Font' has noted how many words in the English language to describe this sort of behaviour - venal, virulent, vicious, violent, vulgar - start with a latin soft 'v'.

Susan said...

I feel lucky that we've never received anything as horrible on our blog. Just people trying to sell stuff mostly, and no real trolls.

Coppa's girl said...

Sophie is a true child of nature, at one with the elements !
If it so much as rains, never mind any accompanying pyrotechnics, Inca, my Lab. adopts Bob's approach. If I so much as dare to suggest that she might just like to "pop" outside, I get the disgusted "Are you kidding me?" look !
I don't have a blog, but can imagine just how distressing it must be to receive horrible comments. Why are people so vitriolic? I have Panda, and it seems to filter out the worst.

Taste of France said...

Imagine if people would put their efforts into something positive, like curing cancer, instead of figuring out how to wiggle past spam filters.
It took three years for the carpenter (a neighbor!) to finish work on our windows. However, he did a good job.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Sending Love and Light to the ROF and its inhabitants - a small but heatfelt antidote to the blues of b****** on the etherwebs. There you are, a non-vee word. Love the Orangutans... YAM xx

Swan said...

I’m so sorry you have to deal with that. Your blog is the first one I read everyday. I love your dogs, your pictures and your sense of humor. Every morning I receive an e mail telling me I’ve been chosen for the National Honor Society...about 40 years too late! Then I started receiving text messages asking, “Why you not join Honor Society?”....Like that’s going to fool me..The internet provides a source of so much information and so many weirdos. I think I would have Saged myself as well as showered!

I'm a Sophie Doodle Dog said...

I'm captivated by the picture of Bob. I think his "stink eye" succinctly sums up my thoughts on the comment you received on today's post, "Really. They actually thought they needed to write that ignorant s*** down?" Happy thoughts to you and yours from our farm in Illinois.

rottrover said...

Sending non- "v" thoughts to the ROF.

Unknown said...

Yours is my favorite blog and I read a lot of blogs. It is just so kindly written and it brings a happy sigh when read. I am sorry you had this happen Peter writes a blog but so far nothing like that has happened. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Anonymous said...

That's horrid Angus. I am so incensed for you.
How dare someone or something try to taint your beautiful blog.
x

Anonymous said...

You have my sympathy on the dreadful comment you received; very sad. May you never have another such experience. I'm glad to hear the Old Farmer is on the road to recovery. Love the mental picture I have of Sophie watching the electrical storm; who but Sophie? And regarding your comment yesterday about snails having your blessing, we're feeling especially blessed in a wet Northern California and would be willing to share some with you. Today I seem to be anonymous but I'm still Stephanie (Jo) in No. Cal.

Jake of Florida said...

I can only imagne those virulent disgusting comments, having seen so many vile messages on FB and elsewhere on the Internet. But having it penetrate the safe space of your blog is especially horrid.