Friday, November 5, 2021

Cultural appropriation.


We lit the fire last night. Sunny and warm during the day but as soon as the sun dips below the horizon you're reminded that November is here. It's chilly this morning but Sophie, sporting a double layer coat, seems to be oblivious to it. She's also oblivious to the recently fallen leaves that line the old zinc bath .


Back home there's time for a snooze. This mornings snooze is of the 'all systems shutdown' variety. A constant round of excitement can exhaust even the most accomplished diva. 


There's time enough for paws to be toweled dry before she's loaded in the back of the car en route to her morning croissant ends.


The exotic section at the greengrocers remains as exotic as ever. I'm not sure that any of the products are selling. From week to week the products on display all look remarkably familiar.


Panettones make it onto the greengrocers 'specials' counter. The greengrocer has a corner for things he picks up at the cash and carry. These tend to be European brands that have overproduced seasonal delicacies and are trying to unload their surplus before Christmas. Slightly misshapen chocolate Belgian Santas fall into this category as do festively wrapped packages of dried Spanish fruits. Stollen of uncertain origin ( the packaging unhelpfully and vaguely says  'Made in the EU' ) are a seasonal staple.    This year we also have Moroccan dates . These have been piled into a six foot high mountain in the space where the Halloween 'altar' used to be. The Moroccan dates have a picture of Father Christmas and his reindeer flying past what appears to be a minaret. Cultural appropriation isn't a one way street.
 

 Most, if not all of these words, struck me as being quite mainstream : https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/651873/new-dictionary-words-merriam-webster

For Italian Christmas staples you can't beat this :https://www.peck.it/sites/default/files/attachment/catalogo_di_natale_2021_sito.pdf

A new exhibition at The Met. Will we get to see it ? :  https://youtu.be/G-gyzGqsWio?t=3


8 comments:

Lisa in France said...

I'm all for more cultural misappropriation. Japan's mastery of this has brought me much joy over the years, and now I am delighted to see that "otaku" has made it into Merriam-Webster. Along with Fluffernutter,which I think of every year when you post photos of the American fair at your local supermarket. I knew some of the other words on the list, but I had not heard this usage of Astroturf, which struck me as quite wonderful. I would love to get to the Met again sometime, but today has caused me to question my readiness for travel. I was make flight reservations for my son to spend his Thanksgiving break with friends in LA, and clicking on the middle seats(the only ones available at this late date)gave me a very strange feeling.

WFT Nobby said...

'Copypasta' is a new one on me, but I rather like it.

Coppa's girl said...

Chilly here too last night - quite a drop in temperature from the nights of the previous few months. This morning it's raining and looks set to last for the weekend, so no walks yet.
Have not yet had chance to read the latest words - but copypasta makes me think of copy and paste on my computer!

Diary of a Nobody said...

I realized what a sad person I am when I found celery in my local supermarket ,I usually have to go to several shops , now I have got it I am not sure what to do with it lol

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Ditto! YAM xx

Travel said...

A mid morning nap sounds like a good idea, so much to learn from the sweet girl

Fay said...

Agreed!

Coppa's girl said...

Make soup?