Sunday, March 17, 2024

He's convinced it's climate change.

 

There comes a point in the year when the switched is turned and Scotland moves from being a place of long nights and chill winds into a place of endless light ... and chill winds. We're there. The first morning since last October we can venture out in a semblance of warmth.


The farmer has been ploughing the field by the old gun emplacement. He's using a larger and heavier tractor than usual and has unearthed four more bronze age burials. The police will be here tomorrow to ensure that the skeletons are 'old' rather than evidence of a more recent crime. The farmer has collected up some bones and put them in a plastic Tupperware dish on the dashboard of the tractor. He stops to tell us about his discovery and show us his finds. Angus could do without seeing fibulas before breakfast ... bronze age or not. The farmer tells us that we've had 29% more rainfall than usual since the start of December. He's convinced it's climate change. 

Town, in the weak sunshine,  looking almost continental


Hot Cross Buns in the bakers window. There's a queue of students - all American girls heading home after a long Saturday night  - waiting to buy them. Are Hot Cross Buns not a thing in the US ?


French pastry makers could only weep if faced with the bakers Easter special. Time to pre-order now.  Angus thinks an Easter egg with a fudge doughnut hidden inside is  wonderful . 'The Font' doesn't. Fudge and chocolate. What's not to like? Could anything summon up Scottish cuisine so succinctly ?


Three books to be read this week. A book by Marilynne Robinson that I'm told has some of the most beautiful prose written this century and a thicker volume written by the two speakers at Tuesday nights presentation. I should have read this before our dinner but better late than never.


This book by Tim Alberta may ( hopefully ) help a confused European understand what's going on in America.


Playing on the radio as we head back home  in the car :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsyGQYnvkMc

Glasgow made wall coverings with a difference:https://www.timorousbeasties.com/


14 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Ashkenazy and Chopin, fabulous! Happy Sunday, all. YAM xx

WFT Nobby said...

I'll vote for chocolate with a fudge doughnut but will steer clear of the American far right, religious or not. I've loved some of Marilynne Robinson's novels (notably Housekeeping) but am not sure I'm up to tackling a close reading of Genesis, however well-regarded.
Cheers, Gail.

Angus said...

WFT - Not sure I'm up to the Robinson either but will give it my best.

Coppa's girl said...

I'll pass on the Easter Egg with a fudge bun - it looks most unappetising, but the Hot X Buns look OK.

Lisa in France said...

I am so happy that we have light these days before 7 and past 4:30 - I hadn't really focused on the fact that where we are living now is actually quite a bit farther north than Tokyo, although generally warmer and sunnier. At least when I lived in the US, hot cross buns were definitely a thing. I remember searching the bakeries in Tokyo to find them for my kids. I haven't found them yet in France.

Camille said...

I've never enjoyed a hot cross bun nor do I much see them for sale at Easter. Perhaps it's a thing in other parts of the US, but not northern New England. In your photo they look delicious, but that chocolate egg/doughnut concoction? Not so much.

Pam in NH said...

Hot Cross buns are sold in a six pack, like dinner rolls in most supermarkets where I live in southern New England. They have bits of candied fruits baked into them plus the lovely icing cross. Suggest to Camille the bakery dept of Hannaford or Market Basket if you find yourself near one. Also, Happy Spring!

Travel said...

71 F yesterday afternoon, and FB reminded me that we had snow here 10 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I am also planning to read the Alberta book. I have heard him intereviewed and my interest was piqued. As a 70+ year old American, I too hope it will shed some light on what is going on in America right now. My best friend from 5th grade through high school is an Evangelical, so I do have a little insight into that choice. We fell out when she got heavily into sex, drugs and rock'n roll in college - very extreme. So I have always chalked up her religious conversion to remorse from that time. We have loosely reconnected (live a thousand miles apart, plus the gulf between the way we've lived our lives) but I do get glimpses into how closely she toes the line of whatever tale they are currently spinning.
Nina

Diaday said...

Hot cross buns are a thing in the US - at least in all the bakeries around me they are. Jumping now to your reading list: Perhaps that last book will help this confused American understand what is going on here.

Jake of Florida said...

If the Alberta book does help a confused European understand what is going on in America, would he be so kind as to share his understanding with this confused (just one word for it) American?

Stephanie said...

Splendid Chopin and I'm looking forward to the Marilynne Robinson book. She's one of my favorite writers and Genesis is rich with family sagas, murder, mayhem, redemption. Sadly, I don't believe I've ever had a hot cross bun.

Melinda from Ontario said...

I've been waiting to dig up something interesting my whole gardening life but bones would be a rather horrifying find.
I adore hot cross buns but they need more icing...in my opinion.

rottrover said...

I'm glad you're moving toward Spring...