Wednesday, February 12, 2020

A few sweet words.


Back to London  to see the new poke and prod surgeon. A sign ( literally ) of the times at the reception desk. 

Today the surgeon's wearing a duck egg blue Pringle sweater. We discuss 'twinges'. He says that folks in the middle ages would often wake for an hour in the middle of the night to chat or read the Bible by candle light. ' Sweet hour of prayer ' he adds as if to prove his point. Angus points out  that ' Sweet hour of prayer ' sounds more like Missouri Baptist describing  a Sunday service than a yardstick for dealing with aches. ' Perhaps you're right' says the surgeon in a tone that suggests I'm not.

Why is it hospital waiting rooms have dilapidated chairs ? 


On the way back to the airport the taxi passes one of Londons most beautiful houses.


The flight home uneventful apart from a takeoff behind an Emirates A-380. The turbulence has the Spanish lady across the aisle crossing and recrossing herself.

Back at The Rickety Old Farmhouse Sophie makes her displeasure apparent. That PONette 'Where do you think you've been ?' look.


Nothing a few sweet words, an ear scrunch and a lengthy tummy tickle don't cure.


Life in China . An intriguing insight. The style is a little stir crazy : https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/f0qjm9/what_the_coronavirus_forcing_me_in_lockdowns/

9 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Why would you be right? He's a surgeon!
A signs of the times in the NHS in the notoriously short-staffed NHS in Aberdeen yesterday. The chatty nurse I saw at the GP practice told me she's the same age as me, retired from full time work, lives in Dumfries and has now taken two day a week contract to work in Aberdeen. I failed to ask if they pay her travel expenses.
Cheer, Gail.

Anonymous said...

ANGUS - you deserved better. Much much better. From the so-called Pringle-clad Surgeon. Not impressed with how you were treated.
He seemingly offered no constructive help nor advice. What he did offer was nonsense - as you noted.
The twinges must be bothersome indeed - for the number of trips you have made to London for some help. Very sorry you did not receive what you went there for. Warm heartfelt regards. From the Westcoast of Canada.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...dilapdated chairs - and five quid notes??? Sophie will keep you right. YAM xx

opakowana said...

If those chairs come with fivers, I don't mind (is that a £5 note I see there, on the floor??). I work as an interpreter and most of my work is in NHS...must start looking at what's on the floor from now on.
Pringle or no Pringle - how many people i the Middle Ages could read??? Or is it about middle aged people...hhhmmmm. Our daughter's puppy is at an age when if you go out it's THE tragedy (You're leaving me for 5-minutes-all-day!!), when you come back it's happy, happy, happy, I love you and lick you to death!

Coppa's girl said...

Never mind the sweet words, ear scrunches and tummy tickles - where are the treats!!

Susan said...

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again

Camille said...

I had a meeting with my new doctor last week. Very young and he sports a huge man bun. I spent the entire visit pondering where he finds scrub caps large enough to cover it all up while he performs surgery. I'm not merely becoming my mother...I seem to have arrived. Hang in there with the twinges. So sorry they still persist.

The reddit story was a fascinating and entertaining glimpse into a harsh reality over in China. I admire the writers joie de vivre.

Charlotte said...

I trust Sophie is back to normal and is able to avoid a visit to the Vet.

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Actually, he was right about the Middle Ages when sleep was described as first sleep and later sleep (not sure about the sweet hour of prayer, though)