Sunday, February 3, 2019

Optimal


Last night there was a thunderstorm and torrential rain. The gutters clacking and clattering with the hail. This morning it's bright but bitterly cold. Bob knows this is rugby morning. He makes his enthusiasm plain. Angus is tempted to stay at home in the warmth but feels guilty about his lack of community spirit. In the stands Bob settles down next to him on the bench and nestles in for warmth. Difficult to say who is more grateful for having a warm companion - dog or master. Both teams saunter up and down the pitch which makes for an uneventful score line. At half time we discuss the unusual tale of Governor ' It is not me ' Northam.


On the way back we stop off for a croissant and a reviving cup of coffee at the modern bakery chain. The senior lady behind the counter brings Bob a bowl of water and some tasty pastry morsels. Bob looks at her suspiciously until he sees she's got something in her hand. Suspicion gives way to devotion. '' Just like all men " says the senior lady.

Considering it's a nationwide chain the cake display is remarkably good. So, even more surprisingly, is the croissant.


Exhausted after his outing into the bitter cold Bob commandeers his sister basket under the sideboard in the downstairs hall.


He is soon asleep and snoring.


Sister considers disturbing him ....


.... but decides instead that oaf free peace and quiet is preferable.


I'd never heard of these : https://www.nature.com/immersive/d41586-019-00275-x/index.html

This years 'in' Swiss ski resort : https://www.lafoliedoucehotels.com/



8 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Watching rugby is exhausting. We hope your team won.

We approve of this bakery, and would have chosen that orange round thing in the top photo. We like their selection.
Thank you for sharing bakeries of rural France with us.

Susan said...

Nice article about the Ethiopian church forests, thanks for the link.

WFT Nobby said...

The Ethiopian link is fascinating, and new to me. Thanks.
It was a rugby afternoon in front of the TV here in Aberdeen. And a very satisfactory one at that.
Cheers, Gail.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
I too appreciated the discovery of Ethiopian eclisiastical ecology - and, as Gail, thoroughly revelled in rugby yesterday! YAM xx

OJN said...

Good to hear that there are walls being built with sensible intentions. The world needs more Dr Wassies.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

If Northam doesn't resign, then we'll be a nation of forgiveness... Any kidding aside, I'm not sure if he should stay or go. I'm torn between both, and the events of Charlottesville are still a bit fresh. I may need a cake from the bakery to discuss and decide.

I thought of you yesterday when I was at the vet. A couple was there with a PON named "Pawel." The conversation began with my asking if their dog was a PON, and they were delighted that I knew what one was. Like you, they've had them for many years. I really enjoyed chatting with them, and meeting (in person) Pawel, my very first PON.

Angus said...

I'm sure Pawel was well behaved. As for Northam the line that 'a photo of a couple of guys dressed up somehow got into my yearbook and I didn't notice 'seems to be in tune with the standards of the times.

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Choosing between the Ethiopian Gardens of Eden and the Swiss Resort.....I'd go for Ethiopia every time. Thanks.