Saturday, October 3, 2020

Process the paperwork.


The day for changing the 'dog car'. On the way to the garage, in the pouring rain, the VW develops a flat tyre. What are the chances of that ?


The Volvo garage staff in the little market town process the paperwork. This takes 45 minutes. French bureaucracy requires permits and conversations with the bank and the insurance company. Angus is lectured at length about the necessity of linking his i-Phone to the onboard SoS system. The instructions go in one ear and out the next. Finally, everything is in order and the saleslady is satisfied that Angus is not an uninsured money launderer. The staff cluster round as the manager whips the covers off the new car which has been parked beguilingly in a corner of the showroom. Everyone claps. This all seems a little over the top for the purchase of a baseline model in a metallic cold porridge paint finish and with wheel trims that scream ' you could have spent a little extra!'. 'The Font', displaying what only the initiated would recognize as Swedish humour,rises to the moment and announces to the assembled workforce ' Thank you. We shall be so, so happy !'. They beam.


Back at The Rickety Old Farmhouse Sophie displays zero interest in the new arrival.


Three things for a Saturday morning :

By the way if you're out tonight and the sky is clear look towards the moon. Off to the side is Mars . It won't be this close to earth for another 15 years.

9 comments:

Poppy Q said...

The new wheels look flash!! Have the dark suits have had to have a few more hushed conversations in the last 24 hrs?

WFT Nobby said...

How I would have loved to hear 'The Font' pronouncing "we are so, so happy" with a straight face. At least, presumably, not adding "and the colour is so delightful".

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...my cold porridge is nowhere near as attractive as that. I so wanted to see the moon/mars combo last night; but this is Scotland... sigh... YAM xx

Camille said...

That's a lovely car! Going by my tablet screen she looks pearly white/grey to me. The 'Font's' diplomatic response made me laugh out loud.

Fay said...

We saw the moon and Mars last night on our late dog walk, here in SE USA. Very unusual, and now I know why, without having to search further!

Coppa's girl said...

Your comments on buying your new car made me laugh out loud - what a performance! On my computer it looks pearly grey too - not the more goldish colour I was expecting. But I suppose it depends upon whose porridge oats you use to make your breakfast and how much milk you add...
It looks a very smart car, Angus, - Inca and I wish you and Sophie many pleasant journeys to and from the little market town in search of the perfect breakfast croissant.
One thing worries me about all these latest vehicles - does everyone spend more time reading the display screen than watching where they're going? I must say we've come a long way since the days of someone walking in front with a flag!

Jim Davis said...

I rather like the color, looks like a pearly grey tone.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm going on 3 years with my van, and I've yet to connect my phone to the hands-free connection that the van has -- And if I pull into the garage, and Carl is inside on his phone, I can hear the conversation, because it was done when the dealer delivered the van.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

The paper work for a car in Canada is similar but I have never gotten the fanfare.