Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Progress.

 

Today I check airline schedules and hotel rates. The chances of a trip back to London next month seem reasonable. Covid rates continue to fall - in the case of the UK the decline has been sharp. France is still north of 200k cases a day but only a few weeks ago we were at 500k so there is progress.

Outside The Rickety Old Farmhouse the first of the spring bulbs appearing. Give it a week or so and the lawn will be covered in daffodils and narcissi.


The moles continue to be an issue. This years damp condition seem to have driven the little critters into overdrive. Another twenty or so mounds on the lawn. The moles push the soil up , Sophie flattens it down. Between the two we will never have a classic lawn.


Horse wanders over to see us. She is gentle and inquisitive. Neither of these character traits assuage the PONette who thinks large inquisitive beasts should be given plenty of leeway. Angus is 'encouraged' along.


Down in the valley the sun is burning off the morning frost.  Sophie watches the clouds of mist barrel along the drainage ditches. She stops so that I can catch up and see it for myself. Communication with a sheepdog is by no means always verbal.


The Old Farmer has brought the 1970's two door Peugeot out of storage. I thought he'd sold it. It is apparently rare as it only has two doors rather than the much more popular four door model. He explains to me in great detail why this is important. He uses the term  'fourgon' to describe it. The Old Farmer thinks the ancient Peugeots rarity value could make it quite valuable in auction. I look at the thing and wonder what its scrap value might be. 10 euros ? I keep this thought to myself but make ( what I hope ) is an encouraging/enthusiastic noise in the back of my throat. 

9 comments:

Liz Hamblyn said...

I have to say that the "Old Farmer" looks very physically upright for someone who is 90 years old. While, in New Zealand we do not have moles, however, in my rural country garden, I will never have a nice lawn, due to the combination of rabbits, chickens and three maremmas. One hole started by one will be enhanced by another. Don't suggest filling the hole. Netting one hole only means another one will be started next door.

WFT Nobby said...

We should send my nephew over to have a chat with the Old Farmer. Nephew is more than capable of holding a lengthy conversation about the pros and cons different models of cars from the 1970s and 80s, and (yes really) Peugeots have long been a particular interest!
Of far more interest to me is the fascinating article about the 'radioecology' of the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

WFT Nobby said...

PS Here's nephew in full flow: https://youtu.be/Sj2yYb66Ap8

Lisa in France said...

Wonderful post today. I love horses and you seem to have captured the mare's character - I would have a hard time being "encouraged" away. Also wonderful to see your neighbor in such good form. My first thought was that maybe he is not so wrong - I recently checked prices on our old 2002 Mazda RX7 and was delighted to learn it is a collector's item that can probably be sold for substantially more than we initially paid. I believe that Gail's charming nephew would get this completely! We have moles at our weekend house - I hope they do not show themselves before we are able to sign the sales contract! We are now seriously moving in the direction of France. I was delighted to read today that France is going to ban the killing of male chicks. I am not a PETA-level radical, but I am a vegetarian and the concept of killing all the male chicks in rather gruesome ways because they can't produce eggs has always bothered me. The French solution seems pragmatic, and it is interesting that this issue would be taken seriously in a country that loves hunting, loves meat, etc. This is actually one of the reasons I am very curious to live in France for a while. It seems to lie somewhere between the US and Japan in terms of ideology, bureaucracy, pragmatism. (I am currently not very keen on living in either Japan or the US.) The article on animals near Chernobyl was also fascinating. We have the same questions here, with Fukushima: https://news.uga.edu/10-years-after-fukushima-animals-reclaim-landscape/

Coppa's girl said...

I don't think we have moles here. Few people have lawns, which are difficult to grow and maintain in the summer heat, and watering is seen as an excessive, and expensive waste of a precious commodity. Most people have gravel, tiles and plants - or (shock horror!) artificial grass!
The Old Farmer (looking very sprightly) could probably sell his old Peugeot to a film or TV company. I've watched recently made TV programmes set in past eras, and often wondered where they find the vintage cars - all in immaculate condition. Brings back memories if I see a car the same as one I used to own.

Diary of a Nobody said...

We have moles they are slowly ringing the house , hubby complains every day , but I really do not know what the answer is .

Travel said...

If only Sophie could herd the C-A-T-S into hunting the moles, if she gets you to stop and look, and speed up to get past horse, she is herding you, it is her job, to make sure the humans get a nice walk and stay in line.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

We've made our Scotland reservations for September. Please, no more variants. x

Stephanie said...

Very choice pictures today, Angus!