Saturday, February 5, 2022

Subsidies.


Our little corner of paradise is sparsely populated. France is, by comparison with the UK, a big country. On a quiet Saturday morning not a soul passes us on our forty minute walk. Don't get me wrong. It's not bad being this quiet and isolated. If you're a dog owner the ability to walk without fear of speeding cars is much appreciated.


Over the last month a dozen large new barns have sprung up in the neighbouring farms. They are all identical in size and design. Beige metal walls and roofs covered in solar panels. The local farmers are making good use of the governments solar power subsidies. 
 

7 comments:

Lisa in France said...

Sophie is a lucky girl to have such countryside to wander. I enjoyed the pizza links today, as it is a subject near and dear to my heart. Why just this week, the governors of two places I have lived are dueling over whose pizza is superior: https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1488339816353775620 I think New Haven wins, but New Jersey has its moments. I was particularly interested to read the history of Shakeys. Shakeys lays no claim to serving the best, but when I first moved to Japan and was homesick for pizza, Shakeys was there for me. I think they are all gone now, but there used to be many Shakeys in Tokyo, all serving a 500 yen all you can eat buffet - squid pizza was the most popular but I became strangely fond of corn.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Sometimes, emptiness is just right... YAM xx

Coppa's girl said...

Often on our local walks we don't see a soul - but walks beside the sea are always busy, and the majority are dog walkers.
Our sky looks the same as yours this morning - a grey day forecast.

Travel said...

New farm buildings are a good sign. Such a pretty place

Stephanie said...

I love your quiet roads and open fields for walking. We live on a beautiful quiet country road bordered by a creek, so I've no cause for complaint. We have lots of mountains and redwood trees, quite different from deepest France profonde. I'm fond of the open spaces.


10NISNE1 said...

Yes, the pizza is better in Chicago! :) Live in Charleston now and am in search of great pizza.

Angus said...

Charleston. We envy you. You'd think there would be great pizza at Kiawah - but there isn't. You'd think that where there's golf there'd be decent food.