Sunday, March 7, 2021

Deliveries.


We're the first port of call for the delivery driver. He now knows to leave parcels on the 'stump' seat at the front gate. This morning he's left three cartons of wine. This makes for a pleasant start of day surprise. Usually the delivery drivers don't work at the weekend but there's strong demand at the moment.


Sophie starts her day by informing me , and the village, that there are boxes on the 'stump' seat. I carry them inside. 


Lots to talk about on our morning walk.  We stop at the concrete storm drain. I sit with my legs dangling over the edge. Sophie sits next to me. She leans in for some reassurance and an ear chook. The world can seem a daunting place to even the most 'composed' PONette. The US manages more than 2.9 million vaccinations. A 20% jump over the previous record. Maybe, just maybe, the US and UK will be able to enjoy a 'normal' summer. Despite a lot of talk the chance of getting a dose in France seems as remote as ever. The stimulus passes the Senate and goes back to the House for approval. In the old days the government used to inject billions into the economy. Now its trillions. Sophie is untroubled by this creeping inflation. The farmer in his new white Peugeot van drives by and waves.  Apart from that not a soul to be seen.


When we get back to The Rickety Old Farmhouse another surprise. This time a courier has dropped off three cases of olive oil. Sophie 'informs' me of their arrival.


Another hotel owner hoping this is the time to open :https://www.glebehousedevon.co.uk/

This played on the local Toulouse radio programme this morning :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAA8vaDfCRk



 

4 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Good to see the ROF now has the essential supplies to weather the next phase of the pandemic. The Devon hotel video has made me yearn for a dose of English countryside - all fingers crossed here that I'll be able to make it down to my godson's wedding in rural Sussex in early September...
Still waiting for my 'blue letter' here in Aberdeen, while reading that all my age group in England have now been offered their first jabs.
Cheers, Gail.

Lisa in France said...

Charlie has not yet figured out that he is supposed to alert us when the deliverymen arrive at our door, although it was always one of the highlights of the day for Cherry. Meanwhile, Charlie proved today that poodles are indeed water dogs, as he suddenly dove off the stone pathway over a little pond on the property of the building across the street and emerged drenched but triumphant. My brother and his wife moved into a cottage on a farm in Devon about a year and a half ago and we had planned to visit last April. The photos that he sends are just amazing, and the hotel link reminds me how desperate I am to see for myself. I am still enjoying yesterday's link to Radio Garden - it's just amazing!

Coppa's girl said...

No walk for us this morning. Torrential rain after almost a week of grey skies, with the occasional weak sunshine, rather like the two photos of Sophie on her walk. The rain is actually welcome and with luck it will be clean, and finally wash away, the pollen that has coated everywhere with a thick sticky yellow dust these last couple of weeks. I'm so glad that I didn't bother to wash the car yesterday, or join the long queues at the car wash!
Angus, you and 'The Font' do seem very well set up for any further lockdown the French Government may throw at you.

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

Seeing the ‘stump’ seat at the front gate brings back such fond memories. I love the second photo of Sophie framed by the promise of Spring! And Sia singing about love and hope. The past, present, and future combined on a Sunday! Thank you Angus.