Thursday, March 25, 2021

Those bells .... again.


Angus heads out of the front door to open up the car. He is passed by a determined PONette heading out on a mission.

The reason for her determination is soon clear. A black C-A-T has been sleeping under the little Volvo. Sophie heads off into the garden to give chase. C-A-T watches the PONette rush past then stands up and saunters slowly off to the gate. C-A-T does not seem unduly alarmed by the howling dog that is now a hundred yards away.


Having a delivery driver live locally has the huge benefit of placing us first on his early morning schedule. He shows up at the front gate with the remainder of our wine order. 'The Font' checks the delivery list while Angus unpacks the boxes. Sophie is still intent on hunting down the, by now long gone, C-A-T.


The new mayor seems to be as technology allergic as the old mayor. The church bells start to ring in a maniacal way. Seems the new mayor has tried to reset the timer in readiness for the clock change this weekend. He's ended up giving the electronic system a nervous breakdown. The old mayor and the village odd job man arrive to help. After fifteen minutes of mayhem they cut off the power supply to the belfry. The electronic bell man has been called and will try to get here before Friday. In the meantime the village lives in bell free silence.


After all that excitement PON and owner head of for a long walk across the fields in what is shaping up to be the first shirt sleeve day of the year. If this warmth holds a bath and a trim are forecast for Sophie's immediate future.


 Hats off to Vox for producing this. How I wish more folks would watch  it :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3odScka55A

9 comments:

Lisa in France said...

What an exciting start to the day! The Vox video was really well-done. My son's shot scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled as the site was overwhelmed, but maybe next week. I would be thrilled if he got the J&J vaccine and that was the end of it. I enjoyed reading about the CalTech class. My son's history professor offered a special Zoom class on the history of plagues last spring when the school sent everyone home. I think it gave useful perspective to my son and serves as a good example of how understanding the past can help us deal with the present - he shows no signs of wishing he were in Miami on Spring Break this week rather than Central Ohio.

WFT Nobby said...

That cat looks E-V-I-L!
Toodle pip!
Bertie (who has just observed Gail layering up and preparing a flask of coffee in preparation for joining her Thursday morning bike ride. That one day in the Aberdeen summer which is 'shirt sleeve weather' is still some way off...)

Taste of France said...

Great Vox video!
Have you read "A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century" by Barbara Tuchman? Set in France, too. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/books/review/pandemics-of-the-past-coronavirus.html
My pandemic problem is going to be high blood pressure if I keep listening to French TV news. After harping that lockdowns that kept people locked inside were counter-productive, that people needed to get fresh air and exercise, the government has now imposed just that, trying to keep people from doing the thing that spread the virus most--dinners indoors with a bunch of people. And now this long-requested reasonable approach is criticized for being confusing and that Macron is ignoring the scientists, who want a strict lockdown, everybody at home, everything closed. ARGH. I realize that some journalists think their job is to find the cracks in anything and to always be critical of the government, but I think they are the ones confusing people. France is doing as well as any EU country in vaccinating. The problem is supply, not organization. It's frustrating, I want my vaccine, but I also appreciate being able to live almost normally in the wait, albeit without seeing friends for a year. I'm beyond furious with the people who are having dinner parties.

Angus said...

The village council had a meeting last night. 'The Font' left quickly when it was discovered 1) no masks 2) no windows open 3) the seats squeezed 'cosily' around a table and 4) wine and a buffet laid on for the 12 attendees. By way of explanation one of the councillors said 'there's no problems here'.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
thank you, Angus, for sourcing that video - I am going to suggest that if each reader here took responsbility for bringing it to attention of at least five others who had not yet seen it and they in turn did this... it would help. I am going to do this by posting about it on Sunday on my main blog...

As for the contagion, this book may be of interest - I did get a bit weary of it towards the end as the style was repetitive, but it makes all the comparisons simple for most to comprehend.

On my second trip to Uluru, it rained on the rock. I will never forget seeing the runnels of water on that amazing pebble! YAM xx

Teena and Lala said...

Great concise video from Vox. I will share this if I am able.
My age group is next on the list to be called for vaccination in Scotland and I'll be grateful for any vaccine that I am offered.

Tigger's Mum said...

Very grateful for the Vox video -have already started sending it out to others. Why does the rubbish conspiracy stuff go viral and the sensible well reasoned stuff like this languish?

rottrover said...

I'm hoping Black C-A-T has been put on the payroll as a mouser. She's awfully cute!

Anonymous said...

I agree with rottrover. Stephanie in No. Calif.