Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Alignment.


Out before dawn for Sophie's early 'comfort break'. Low on the horizon Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn can be seen growing brightly away in the darkness. Our nearest planetary neighbours making an unusual joint appearance. They'll party this way for the next couple of weeks. A rare alignment. 

We're not the only ones up at this early hour although we're probably the only ones staring at the sky. Three local farmers rumble down the lane in their tractors. The noise of their engines swamps the dawn chorus. One of the farmers beeps his horn. He has taken delivery of a new, outsize, John Deere, in bright green. He proudly shows me the cab controls.

We return indoors so that I can find the car keys. Sophie once again tries, unsuccessfully, to hide her impatience. ' Don't you know there are adventures to be had ?'


At the bakers the alarming blue eclairs have reappeared.


In fact the baker seem to have gone on an eclair baking splurge. We order a strawberry tart. Sophie gets some left over choux pastry. Her tail does its hundred beats to the minute routine.


So starts the daily routine of Angus and the family diva in deepest , deepest France profonde. 

8 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Am I too set in my ways in thinking the 'traditional' chocolate eclair looks the most appealing?
Cheers! Gail.

Angus said...

WFT -Yes, the 'traditional' eclair does indeed look the best. Certainly at this time of the morning.

Lisa in France said...

Maybe one chocolate and one Tahitian - the blue one has intrigued me since last year, and they must be popular if the baker is making them again this year? And a "chouchou" for my husband. They are very popular here, known as "shu cream".

Coppa's girl said...

Having perused the cake selection minutely (by accidentally enlarging the photos!) I feel the strawberry tart would be a very wise decision. It's probably me, but I find the look of the avocado green mascarpone, pistachio and fraise éclair particularly unappealing, but perhaps it tastes better than it looks.
However, left over choux pastry can't be bad - lucky Sophie!

Travel said...

One of each please. I went to the bakery yesterday morning for pastries for my department staff meeting, they were having a sale, 20 cost less than 12, so why not. We were celebrating our longest serving staff member's 27th year with the organization. She has 6 years left until she can retire.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Nothing to tempt me there today. Astronomically, though, I have been desperate to get to see the alignment... and naturally, the Clyde micro-climate has ensured blanketing cloud cover every morning to prevent such joy... YAM xx

Melinda from Ontario said...

When I was in high school, I faked sick one day in order to stay home from school. Looking for something to do, I decided to make chocolate éclairs after I spied the recipe in one of my mother's cookbooks. Little did I know, chocolate éclairs can't be "whipped up". Even so, by the time the other family members returned from school and work, I had a tray of decent looking chocolate éclairs waiting for them. I still have that cookbook with that recipe but I haven't had the fortitude to make them since. I do long for one on occasion though.

Fay said...

Oh, I do agree that the mascarpone eclairs don't look particularly appetizing, but I admire the diversity and decoration of all of the pastry. Another lucky start-of-the-day for Sophie!