Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Almost back to normal.

From the other side of the garden wall the professor from the School of Medicine informs me that the new variant is highly contagious and at its most infectious in the first 48 hours after you catch it. In other words you're spreading it before you even know you've got it. He thinks that if I wear a N-95 mask I'll be fine to travel home tomorrow. He also thinks I probably picked it up on the flight coming over . The airline made the passengers wait ,cheek by jowl, for 50 minutes in a security pen that could comfortably hold a third of the 180 passengers that were corralled in there. Even the best mask can only do so much when you're that close to lots of other people. My next door neighbour gives me a small $10 blood oxygen monitor that clips onto the end of a finger together with the advice ' If the oxygen level falls below 94 worry. If not don't '. It doesn't.

A 'Blah' day was followed by two 'Yeugh!' days, followed by two more 'Blah' days. The 'Blah' days felt like the flu. The 'Yeugh' days felt like I'd drunk a full bottle of Gods ambre nectar - on an empty stomach. Deliveroo , organized by 'The Font' , proved to be a Godsend. All in all not a bad experience but not one I'd want to repeat. 

This morning my energy levels are back to normal and I'm waiting for the green light to travel. What I found was that LemSip and Strepsils worked pretty well. I lived on peach yogurt and San Pellegrino. My sense of smell remained intact throughout.

From the 'Wee House' I watch the twice daily University procession pass by on its way to the graduation ceremonies. Every morning at eleven and again in the afternoon at two all the town bells ring out and the pipers play. I'd have to say the young pipers are not merely good - they're excellent. Brightly gowned teaching staff follow along behind. This is going to carry on for another two weeks as the classes of 2020 and 2021 belatedly get their graduation ceremonies. Everyone seems determined to celebrate this small rite of passage. There are smiles and laughter everywhere.  The sun plays its part and battles its way through the clouds for every ceremony.  What are the chances of that ? 


 If all goes well Sophie will be reunited with the rest of her flock tomorrow.

9 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Thanks for the reassuring update. Good to hear Angus is feeling better, courtesy of time, lemsip, strepsils and remote care from the Font. Two days of 'yeugh' sound par for the course for this variant. Hope all goes well for a reunion with the flock tomorrow.
Cheers, Gail.

The Life of Riley said...

When you arrive back at the ROFH I am sure Sophie, and "The Font" will confirm there is no place like home with your usual bed and loved ones nearby to make you feel better as soon as possible. Wishing you safe uneventful travels in your N95 mask, and a happy wagging tail from Sophie to greet you at home.

Coppa's girl said...

Good to know that you are over the worst, Angus, and on the mend. Sophie and 'The Font' will be delighted too - as are we.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Given some of the coughing I've been hearing out in the street below the Hutch's window this past weekend, Omicron has arrived in Dunoon... and folk are not shy about it. I remain indoors and leave the world to itself. Glad to hear Angus is sufficiently mended that we may be hearing from Sophie the baying of a happy hound tomorrow! YAM xx

Camille said...

Twice daily entertainment, Deliveroo and kind neighbors, all while confined to the lovely Wee house seems a good second choice to being back at the ROF and perhaps giving the Font the plague. But I'm so very sorry you've had to endure this misery alone without your nearest and dearest by your side. I can only imagine how happy they both shall be to greet you tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Fay said...

Good news that you are on the mend, with help from near and far! That must be St Salvator's Chapel and North Street?

Melinda from Ontario said...

I'm so glad the "blah" and the "yeugh" days are behind you. I hope the trip home isn't too taxing. It will be nice to hear about your happy reunion with Sophie and the Font.

Jake of Florida said...

Blah and Yeugh: perfect descriptors. I'm glad you're recovered enough to be on your way home where high energy level TLC awaits.

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

Grateful you will be soon reunited with your flock. They will help you finish recovering from your unplanned ordeal.