Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Neither calmly nor gently.


This morning audacious pigeons attract Sophie's attention. With interlopers like this in her sights we do not segue calmly or gently into this new day. It can also be said that despite her best efforts the pigeons remain completely safe. That head back, full on howl does not make for a great hunting technique. The pigeons go right. Sophie goes left.

The PONette finds some consolation in an intriguing scent on the patio outside the Sports Bar. This gets the full 30 second sniff test.


Another sign that summer is fast approaching. Wild asparagus in the greengrocers. When we lived in Italy the locals used to rave over this.


Strawberries and cherries finished we're now in the peach season. I pick up half a dozen but they're not infused with sunshine ... yet.


Bizarrely, this mornings croissant is a delight. A full 9.6/10. Why the batches should be so variable is a mystery. Same baker, same time, same place. Go figure. Sophie reckons the croissant could be better. It could be bigger. Much bigger.


 Are civil service exams good or bad ? :https://www.nber.org/papers/w30113#fromrss

On a hot and sticky morning this seemed interesting :https://www.livescience.com/is-north-pole-or-south-pole-colder

8 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Oh how I would love a trip to your greengrocer some time. Followed by a 9.6/10 croissant of course.
When I saw today's blog title I rather assumed it was a reference to UK politics and the way the Tory party is currently conducting itself.
Cheers! Gail.

Lisa in France said...

That wild asparagus looks amazing, we never see anything like that in Japan. The paper on civil service exams was interesting.

Coppa's girl said...

A 9.6/10 croissant - oh wow - I would have been back for another one immediately - just to check that the "consistency" was constant!
Peaches here too, and they and the nectarines, are like cricket balls. From experience I've found they take an age to ripen, if at all, and then they go rotten before I have a chance to eat them. I have bought some Paraguays - (the squashed peaches), which are better. I can see some in your photograph.

Taste of France said...

The wild asparagus looks awfully perfect for something wild. I went asparagus hunting a few times in the garrigue and you really need good eyesight. And it's one stem at a time. One Easter weekend, I was out for a walk in the countryside, and I passed throngs of families hunting for asparagus. There was a father encouraging his maybe seven-year-old daughter to crawl commando style under some bushes to get to some. The village omelette de Pâques would be made with wild asparagus, donated by various elders who had the time to go hunting for them.
I took the U.S. Foreign Service exam. Passed the written but failed at negotiation in the in-person part. No way could I get ahead through connections. I was lucky to go to college--my teachers actively discouraged me (a smart girl like you can get a job right away as a secretary!). More classmates went to prison than to college. I saw education as a ticket to get out and far, far away. It would have been a lot easier if I had connections and social training along with the good grades.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Vegetarian drool fest this morning... as for pastry, sometimes my scones rise and sometimes they don't; temperature, temper, or flour tantrum? Who can say... YAM xx

Travel said...

Fresh and local, always good. Someday Sophie will catch a fresh local bird.

Diaday said...

A 9.6 croissant...what a marvelous way to start the day! May the rest of your day be a 9.6 as well.

Fay said...

On reading, I had the same thought a Coppa's girl...perhaps one more croissant, just for comparison! And I, too, wish I could partake of all that fresh produce. Here, in SE USA, in the grocery stores, the carrots are so old they rot within a week, the lettuce is wilted when on display, and most of the available vegetables are root vegetables. Must be a transport problem. This year, the farmers' markets are just slightly better.