Wednesday, November 9, 2022

My first car cost less than that !


If mud and wet fur are an indication of happiness then Sophie is enjoying life to the full. This morning she decides to roll in a puddle. I look on in horror as she squirms ... and squirms... and squirms until her coat has absorbed as much water as it can. A fully wet PON is at least double the weight of a dry one.

After a thorough toweling dry we head off into town. A voice from the infotainment system informs me that the cars fuel tank is now only10% full. As if that's not enough a light on the dashboard flashes, intermittently, to prompt me to do something about it. Filling up the tank costs an eye watering £105. I won't let it get that empty again any time soon.

I am the only customer up and about at this time of the day. The party animals have gone to bed and the commuters haven't set off from home yet. The man behind the petrol station cash desk is clearly keen to see someone. In the ninety seconds it takes to pay he provides his personal take on  a) UK inflation in the 1970's b) the price of filling up the Volvo ( He helpfully informs me that  - ' My first car cost less than that ! '    c) the profits made by the oil companies d) the need for more investment in the economy and e) the pros and cons of holding the World Cup in Qatar.

It's windy and overcast but mild. It's not exactly dry but at least it's stopped raining.  At the cafe the lady behind the counter looks at Sophie and says 'Goodness !' . This is not a compliment.

On the other side of the road there's an old Land Rover with a sign on the side promoting ' Dog adventure holidays'. I ask my bedraggled companion if she'd be interested in going on an adventure holiday. Her view seems to be that holidays are fine but who needs them when there are puddles at home and there's a bacon roll and a Jaffa Cake on the table ? A girl has to have her priorities.



10 comments:

Linda said...

If Sophie wants an adventure closer to home, you might try this, as seen on the St Andrews University Instagram page. They may even towel her dry afterwards! https://www.yourunion.net/activities/societies/explore/dog-walking/

Liz Hamblyn said...

Oh me oh my 105 pounds in NZ currency is as of today is NZ$203. An awful lot of money to fill up ones car.

WFT Nobby said...

Every day is an adventure for Sophie. Especially in a place where there are bacon rolls on the table (and surely within reach?)

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Indeed, adventure aplenty outside one's door when one lives on the ruggedly-wind-whipped Scottish coast! That too with pools to practice one's backstroke... YAM xx

Poppy Q said...

Glad you are letting her enjoy the puddles.

Travel said...

Rolling in it must have felt so good. I knew I was getting older when I started saying things like, that cost more than my first house (the recent kitchen replacement cost 20% more than the house I bought in 1982.) I know some city dogs that would pay a lot of money for a day out in the country and good roll in a puddle.

Coppa's girl said...

That bacon roll looks good - how could Sophie resist it! Had the Jaffa cake already been de-chocolated and given to its grateful recipient!
Goodness, the cost of filling your tank was more than any monthly mortgage we ever paid! I pay for my petrol here using Waylet and last time a full tank cost not too much more than it had pre the price-hikes. Repsol were giving a 12 cents per litre discount on all payments through Waylet. Not that I fill up very often and am glad I have a small car!

rottrover said...

The suggestion of a small, tiled shower/blow dry room for Sophie is making more and more sense!

Gemma's person said...

That roll looks yummy.

Tigger's Mum said...

In our household a bacon roll beats a croissant any day of the week. Tiggers are indifferent to curly croissant eends but start salivating over the possibility of bacom slivers.