Monday, October 23, 2023

Apres le deluge .... Sun !

This morning there's a solitary goose paddling on the small lake that's formed in the potato field. The other geese and the assorted sea birds have resumed their journey south leaving it alone. I'd have to say that the goose doesn't seem in the slightest perturbed. There is an almost imperceptible hint of a frost ring forming around the edges of the lake. 

A glorious sunrise as seen from 'The Fonts' cabin. The small lake in the potato field can be see on the left of the photo. The cabin is a 3 metre by 3 metre cube and is as non-aerodynamic as any structure can be. I thought it might suffer in the recent gales but having been hugely over engineered it has come through its windy baptism unscathed. We are still unsure why such a climatic 'event' should have occurred in our normally tranquil backwater.


The sun has brought the dog walkers back to the beach.


A steady flow of tourists are out on the pier. Tourists are never out on the pier this early. They seem to be a mixture of French and Spanish  so I guess they're tour groupers enjoying  these first glimpses of blue sky after being incarcerated in their hotels with the rain over the weekend. 


A group of six ladies in swimming hats are doing aerobics in the sea water pool. Two black labradors join them. One of the labradors is wearing a flotation vest. The ladies and the labradors seem to be enjoying themselves in equal measure. One of the labradors has a stick which he holds high as he paddles out to show his mistress. He does this repeatedly.


Usually we have Starbucks to ourselves. Not today. There's a queue of caffeine deprived students and locals that stretches from the cash till and spills onto the pavement. We take a seat at an outside table and watch the world go by. It is almost comfortable in the sun although wooly hats are now de rigeur. The Coronation bunting which has brought a little red, white and blue colour to the shopping street has finally succumbed to the weather. The strand by the town fountain has been almost completely stripped of its small triangular 'flags'. A few survivors dangle forlornly mid-strand. 

So starts a Monday morning in a  little town on the North Sea.

This is played on the car radio as we head home. It is the first song Angus can ever remember hearing. 'The Font' doesn't think it made its way to Sweden : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZANKFxrcKU

And here's an answer to a question I'd never thought of asking :https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945223002459




11 comments:

Liz Hamblyn said...

I can't say that the "Teddy Bears picnic" is the first song I remember hearing but I certainly can recall it being played on our local radio station 2ZA in Palmerston North, New Zealand in the 1960's.

WFT Nobby said...

I'm waiting for 'cold water swimming with dogs' to be promoted as the latest 'wellbeing' cure!
Enjoying a dry and thankfully wind-free frosty morning here in Aberdeen.
Cheers, Gail.

Anonymous said...

The simple answer as to cause is “climate change”. The complicated one has to do with a typhoon, the jet stream and warm seas.

I haven’t got my head round this morning’s ice, yet. It too is part of the same weather system

Lisa in France said...

We have a beautiful view of the Mediterranean from the gate at the top of our drive. I made the mistake of showing my husband your shot of the view from the Font's cabin, so now he proposes that we build him something similar for the sea view. (Fortunately, I suspect the French red tape would make this very difficult!) I should probably be more sympathetic, as he is actually one of the small percentage of people who have very weak mental imagery - presumably this makes "live" imagery more important? I've forwarded him your link.

Travel said...

It sounds like the renovations were worth the time and trouble, enjoy the space.

jabblog said...

Hardy folk in St Andrews!

Coppa's girl said...

A beautiful sunrise - I'm surprised 'The Font' leaves her cabin!
I remember "The Teddy Bears Picnic" as the first sone I ever heard too - my parents bought the record when I was just a few months old. It was played continually throughout my childhood.
Trust the Labs to join in with the aerobics group!

Jake of Florida said...

I don't know if it was the first, but I do remember the Teddy Bear's Picnic on the radio in our Philadelphia home.

Diaday said...

Weather is tolerable if you dress appropriately.

rottrover said...

Beautiful sunrise photos today. A warm drink and a few minutes in the sun seem just the thing.

Kippy said...

What a vista! I can’t remember the first song I heard. My father told me he never had a teddy bear as a child. When he was around 60 I bought.a teddy bear for him that played Teddy Bears Picnic. He loved it!