Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Farewell to the Scotties.

A surprise discovery in the tourist bureau - another Scottie. Over the summer it's been positioned by the information desk to attract visitors inside but has now been moved to the window. This one has an 'educated fleas' design. I see from a sign beneath it that the Scotties farewell weekend will be in mid-November. 


All the Scotties will be gathered together in the exam hall before being auctioned off and despatched to far flung corners of the globe. I'm betting a fair number will wend their way to golf clubs between Virginia and Georgia. The Scotties have done everything asked of them - they've raised money for the hospice, have made people laugh and uncomplainingly suffered being ridden on by excited toddlers. Only one of them has been damaged.


In pride of place in the window in front of the Scottie a 'Westie' calendar. 


The lobster fisherman was out on the shore again yesterday. He's continuing to find errant creels. Down by the harbour there must now be thousands of them all repaired,  stacked up and waiting for the weather to improve so they can be reset. He says that storms like this used to occur every 25 years. On the town beach a metre of dunes was washed away yesterday. The last combination of super high tides and 100 km/h winds was in 2011 . With climate change he's guessing that we should be preparing for inundations every decade. The man from the garden centre joins us. His father has told him there's not been a period of continued gales like these in living memory.


The high tides have swept sand from the beach onto the street by the side of the yacht club cafe. A warmly wrapped up dog owning couple are already enjoying their Americanos. Their companion is willing them on to buy a grilled cheese sandwich.


Tickets for the Scotties farewell gathering are now on sale. We shall go and see them one last time  :https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=296799079940111&set=a.139803902306297

This was interesting :https://www.wired.co.uk/article/wired-impact-cities-health



11 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

I'd be tempted to put in a bid for the Flying Scottie.
Consensus in my cycling group is that this has been the worst period of gales and rain that any of us remember in Aberdeen.
Cheers, Gail.

Anonymous said...

Angus, the Council has closed paths through the West Beach dunes and put out heavy warnings of undermining and exposed waste. Be careful, with your wonky eye.

Travel said...

I was hoping a scottie would come home with you.

jabblog said...

I have enjoyed seeing the Scotties. I hope they all raise astonishing amounts of money.

Lisa in France said...

I have also enjoyed the Scotties, and it was fun to see them all lined up together on the poster. I am sure they will all bring joy wherever they end up. Its frightening to hear about your weather. Years back, the consensus seemed to be that northern regions might be shielded from the worst effects of climate change, but here we are with fires all across Canada and now these violent storms in Scotland. I've been wondering for a long time what it would take for people to realize it is time to panic. Still wondering, I guess.

Charlotte said...

Since I have a Westie the calendar in the window was a special blessing to see today. So glad you included it. 🐾🐾

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I know it goes without saying that I followed the journey of the "Scotties by the Sea" everywhere I could -- but I really enjoyed your sharing your personal encounters with them, it really brought them to life. And I was disappointed when "Tartanium" was damaged and I hope the artist was able to easily repair him.

The weather is crazy here in Virginia too. It was in the '70s when I went to work in the morning, and in the mid 50s by the time I went home.

Jake of Florida said...

I had so.much fun looking at all the Scotties on the website and seeing how creative and diverse the artists were in developing their themes. I tried to pick a favorite, but too many clamored "pick me! No me, me, me!" Would have loved to see them in person.

Coppa's girl said...

We shall miss your regular discoveries of yet another beautifully decorated Scottie. They will be a very hard act to follow. I too hope they have raised a great deal of money for worthy causes.
A blissful 19ºC here today, mild and overcast, such a change from endless sunshine!

rottrover said...

I, too, will miss the Scotties!

Stephanie said...

The Scotties have been great fun.