Sunday, November 19, 2023

One last gathering.

 There's been a constant stream of visitors to see the Scotties before they're auctioned off. To gain entry to the exhibition  you have to pay £5 entry at the door. I ask the woman at the cash desk if I can pay by card. 'No' comes the short and unsmiling answer. She looks at me sternly before adding ' There are no exceptions'. Suitably chastened  I wander round to the cash machine at the bank by the church.  


A rather dour concierge in the lobby of the exam hall makes it clear that dogs are not allowed entry. 'It's far tae wet fur them to come inside and go traipsin' around ' he says, repeatedly. Unhappy male owners stand by the door , in the rain, while their families go inside. This anti-dog discrimination  may be down to the thick shag carpet that has recently been laid down. It has that overpowering 'new carpet' smell. It also gives the exam hall an eerie sound absorbed quietness.


Toddlers are allowed to run wild. The Scotties are pretty robust things and having withstood the local climate for the last six months can take anything a two year old can throw at them in their stride. 


I'm again surprised by the atmosphere around the massed Scotties. The exam hall is not the most cheerful of places but I'd reckon that 75% of the folks milling around have smiles on their faces. For those attendees who are eight years old or below it's 100%. This may, or may not, say something about the power of art. The dour concierge and the ticket lady are exceptions to this rule. Perhaps they're C-A-T people ? 


The RAF Scottie that stood on the platform at the railway station  looks much better under the exam hall spotlights. It glows. I'd reckon this will go for a tidy sum at auction.


The Irn Bru dog ( Scotlands other national drink ) is already attracting bids. ( For those innocents who have never tasted Irn Bru here is a YouTube video of an adventurous American couple trying it for the first time :https://youtu.be/QKR16cr__OU?list=TLPQMTgxMTIwMjPV9qMKR9F4TQ&t=215.This traffic cone hatted  Scottie  remains our ( slightly squiffy ) favourite.

Spanish music on the radio : https://youtu.be/U5lmyCm8AUQ?t=5

Christmas markets kick off in Scotland. This one is rather grand : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMJA9OFgWIU


12 comments:

Ruth said...

Yesterday's parades of the wee dogs made me smile more than the hall arrangements - and your pictures were free to view! Thank you for sharing them all.

WFT Nobby said...

I'm wondering if, for some of the Scottie visitors, their last visit to the exam hall was to sit their finals. That would produce an interesting conflation of mental images!

Angus said...

WFT - You're right with one tiny caveat. Graduations take place in the exam hall so final exams would be followed two months later by a visit to the same building for a less stressful gathering.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Ahhhhh, I wonder if Bru Dog might make a further appearance on this blog in a new setting..??? YAM xx

jabblog said...

They're not very imaginatively displayed but I suppose room has to be left in the body of the hall for the throng of bidders later. It will be interesting to see how much they sell for.

Lisa in France said...

That one photo with the child makes me realize how big the big Scotties actually are. I love the Irn Bru Scottie, and I have to say I don't think the American couple's comments were entirely fair. I was very curious to try Irn Bru when I visited my son in Glasgow, as it's often mentioned in the Ian Rankin mysteries. I'm not much of a soda drinker, but I thought Irn Bru was absolutely fine and kind of interesting - how to describe that flavor? The fact that an apparently completely independent soft drink targeted at a single country has managed to survive for more than 100 years is also impressive.

Travel said...

At a street market yesterday, I had a vendor say "no cash please." Fewer and fewer people carry cash.

Coppa's girl said...

I shall miss the Scotties, they have been such a cheerful addition to the town. It would be good to think that once sold they are spread around the globe.

rottrover said...

I like the idea of the Scotties being spread around the world. I've realy enjoyed them, too. I understood last night why the farmer's wife and the JRT's binged all four episodes of The Crown. The first character we meet in episode 1 is in fact a JRT! They and their human witnessed (heard) the crash!

The Life of Riley said...

Hopfully all the Scotties find good homes. Guessing the makers of Irn Bru may bid a large amount, for charity, so Bru Dog can become their factory mascot.

Lizzie said...

For those of you who "do" Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/scottiesbythesea

Perhaps they will announce where their "forever" homes there.

Judith said...

Thank you for the link Lizzie!