Thursday, November 16, 2023

The old cookbook.


Lots to talk about with the Manhattanites this morning.  Spains political scene gets 'complicated'. Will Nikki Hayley and Gavin Newsom  surprise us in a big way ? Biden and Xi meeting in San Francisco reluctantly recognize they need ( but don't necessarily like ) each other. The conversation ends , as it often does, with a discussion about Mike Johnson. This is usually accompanied by a tone of weary  incredulity.

The small beach below the house has been restored to its pristine state.  The villagers have piled black bags full of plastic debris and crushed lobster creels by the gate into the lower field. Presumably someone, sometime, will come and pick this up.


The weather remains somewhere between changeable and miserable. This is an improvement over it being constantly miserable. There are other places that are faring worse. Seems the north of France is suffering from the wettest weather on record. Here at The Last Wee House before Denmark we are using the wet days to continue with our weeding out and downsizing. In a packing case in the garage 'The Font' comes across an old Elizabeth David cookbook. It has a marvellous 1950's era cover.


It is decided that tonights dinner will be Poulet Sainte Menehould. This sounds rather exotic for what, is at heart, a simple roast chicken. The line about ' accessible enough to be carefully turned without damaging the coating of breadcrumbs' should be fun.


Angus is despatched into town to pick up a bottle of brandy. This is the sort of shopping he enjoys.


Coconuts make an appearance in the supermarket. I can't remember the last time I bought a coconut. Sadly, I can't think of a reason - compelling or otherwise - to buy one now.  Having bought a bottle of brandy Angus detours to the chocolate shop to pick up a box of marzipan.


On the way home a truncated rainbow rises from the sea like a pillar of flame. The i-Phone camera doesn't do it justice. The colours glow as if alive. For a surprisingly long time the 'pillar' shines out in the rising sun. It is quite spectacular. The very second I get home it disappears. What must the Celtic farmers who lived here three thousand years ago have made of it ?


This mornings radio music played by a Polish orchestra :   https://youtu.be/GCxINpEAqfQ?t=209

 

14 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Angus's approach to food shopping reminds me of my father who, whenever dispatched to town to buy a particular item invariably returned with a bag full of goodies, more exotic and far less 'healthy' than my mother would ever have purchased.
A dull morning in Aberdeen for the Thursday bike ride. I am confident that the conversation with my cycling friends will not feature Mike Johnson. Although Suella Braverman might well merit a mention...
Cheers, Gail.

Lynne said...

I can’t help but be relieved that the recipe I use for Coq au vin doesn’t have blood as an ingredient

Linda said...

I'm pretty sure your Elizabeth David cover is the original illustration by John Minton, which is highly collectable. Over $400 on one site I looked at. Don't get too many cooking splodges on it!

Anonymous said...

Cut coconuts in half. Drill holes in holey bits. Hang on trees. The blue tits will thank you

Travel said...

Brandy and candy, the essentials of a cool day. The chicken recipe looks surprisingly easy.

jabblog said...

I buy a coconut occasionally to show the grandchildren the novelty. I'm sure the birds would enjoy it, though.

Anonymous said...

Niederegger is a classical marzipan choice for chrismas in Germany, very good quality.

Grüße aus Bayern, Barbara

Lisa in France said...

The Elizabeth David cover is really great. Today, I received my copy of one of the French history books you suggested, Gildea's France Since 1945. I didn't realize I had ordered a used book, but this copy came to me via the Illinois Math and Science Academy. It hadn't been checked out since 2013, so I am happy I can give it some new attention.

kippy said...

Like Gail, your shopping excursion reminds me of when mother would ask my father to go get one necessity at the store. She was extremely budget conscious. Dad came home with expensive Italian plums and (as asked) a pound of butter. He was not asked again. However I’m pretty sure if he’d picked up some marzipan he’d have not gotten the stern look.
Lovely rainbow photo! I

rottrover said...

Thanks for the Holst. And the rainbow :)

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

After getting married, I asked my husband to do a grocery run for me. Stunned, he asked if I was allowing him to shop, as his first wife wouldn't let him. Yes, he came home with stuff I wouldn't have bought and didn't always get the correct brand of some item I requested. On the other hand, I don't follow my lists any better.
That's such a unique rainbow formation, thanks so much for posting it.

Diaday said...

He said, Xi said...

Anonymous said...

My brother, who lives in Florida, has coconuts in his yard. I swear to you that his two dogs, a spaniel and a pit bull, open the coconuts and eat them. Seriously, I can't get into a coconut with a hammer!!
Nina

Virginia said...

A quarter of a pound of butter!!! A quarter of a pound!! No wonder people died of heart disease. Add perhaps a little cream ... I think I'll pass!