Saturday, November 18, 2023

Scotties en masse


We meet the farmers wife heading down to the beach. She tells us she spent last night binge watching the first four episodes of 'The Crown'. While her husband did the potato accounts, she, her three daughters and the Jack Russells snuggled up on the sofa with a box of Quality Street. They will now have to wait for a month until the final six episodes are released. The critics may have slammed the series but it can safely be said that the famers wife is a big fan. 

Yesterday, the Scotties were  collected up and taken to the exam hall .This morning they will be set up inside and  displayed for the next two days.


Passers by stop and take photos. Toddlers swarm over them. For a small town on the North Sea coast this is as exciting as things get.


I'm surprised how many of the Scotties we've not seen . In truly democratic fashion they've been placed in outlying villages way off the beaten track.


Everyone who sees the Scotties  has a smile on their face.



Four workmen show up with a van. In the back are half a dozen Scotties they've picked up . 'We've got another two trips and then we'll have collected them all ' says the driver.

We are greatly taken with a small Scottie with a traffic cone on its head.


Saturday morning music. An American song with an English accent . Gillian Tett, who is one of the very best FT columnists, has just been made Provost of this college  :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwL9r7C1CM0



12 comments:

Liz Hamblyn said...

I would certainly agree with the statement that anyone who sees a Scottie would have a smile on their face. I am sure they bring great joy to anyone who encounters them in mass.

Jake of Florida said...

Love the Scottie queues!

WFT Nobby said...

The Scottie parade will be a source of delight far beyond St Andrews.
If I had a husband who would take care of the accounts and I could curl up on the sofa with the rest of my human and canine family and a box of Quality Street, I'd probably be happy whatever was on TV.
Cheers! Gail.
PS Congratulations to Gillian Tett. I too am a fan. If I remember rightly, she's the journalist trained in anthropology who observed banker's behaviours around 2008 and foresaw the crash when almost no-one else, whatever their expertise in economics and finance, did.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Love the photo's Angus! Its been hard to pick a favorite of the ones I've seen in photos - Several Scottie friends are like me and would love one of the 'wee dugs' for their garden, or in my case, my front porch. But the one with the traffic cone on its head made me laugh, I'd not seen it in any of the posted photos. You really cannot help but smile when you see them.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh yes, the Irn Bru Scottie caught my eye, too - as did its copper-coloured companion... oh, but really, they are all just gorgeous!!! YAM xx

Coppa's girl said...

Must confess to liking them all! It really is difficult to choose a favourite, but the traffic cone Scottie makes me laugh too. How strange it's going to be without them to brighten the day. I wonder if it's possible to buy an unpainted Scottie to decorate?
Did the Jack Russell puppy enjoy watching "The Crown" or would she rather have been out and about inspecting the deeper reaches of your garage!

Travel said...

What an amazing collection of art.

jabblog said...

It's so funny to see all the Scotties together. What's the collective noun for Scotties?
I enjoyed the rendition of Shenandoah but wondered at the in dress between the younger and older choristers. I liked the countertenor's voice.

jabblog said...

*disparity in dress*

Stephanie said...

I think our great fondness for the Scotties shows that we are all children at heart. Thank you, Angus; it's been such fun.

rottrover said...

I will mis the Scotties and do hope one finds its way to your garden.

Lisa in France said...

I will also miss the Scotties. It looks like there's giant topiary Scottie in one of the shots? I wonder if the Scottie with a traffic cone on its head was inspired by Glasgow - every statue in Glasgow seemed to have this embellishment when we visited. I'm happy to hear about Gillian Tett. She spoke at a law firm retreat I attended and described how her colleagues at FT formed heirarchical "silos" based on where different groups were assigned offices and why silos are so detrimental. Her ideas have stayed with me over the years and influenced my husband's work on economics as well. She's a good thinker.