Sunday, November 12, 2023

Two minutes

 Spectacular northern lights last night. Usually they're a washed out green - more water colour than oil -  but this time the sky to the north is a roiling tumble of colour.  From 'The Font's new cabin we have an uninterrupted ( and warm ) view of them . 

A quick trip to Edinburgh to pick up some eye drops from the hospital pharmacy ( for some obscure reason the suppliers  in town are out of stock ). At two minutes to eleven the atrium fills with nurses and doctors. A riot of different coloured scrubs. On the dot of eleven the four receptionists stand. A hundred or so people pausing , arms by their sides, heads bowed . We are slightly surprised that the two minutes silence should be so formally observed. Is this years observance of November 11th  more political ?


In Dundee the V and A is having a Tartan exhibition. We have a membership card for the V and A in London which allows us free entry. The London card is carefully examined. ' Don't see many of them' says the young lady cashier.


Bo Diddleys tartan jacket is on display.  This song is played, endlessly, alongside :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLcYuuljrD4

We watch a 1940's advert promoting the export of tartan to America.


There are some very Victorian tartan ladies outfits.


Having been suitably educated ( the exhibition is in fact rather good ) Angus is allowed a 'wicked' chocolate slice in the cafe. I know it's 'wicked' because the young man with his hair tied in a knot on top of his head tells me so.


Angus had briefly considered the ginger and oat slice but ginger is an acquired  and possibly more adult taste. It's certainly too adult for Angus .


Salt soap : https://dookofedinburgh.com/

There are three gin distilleries within a twenty minute of here. One has opened up on the universities administrative campus . Our local distillery sells gin scented candles at the sobering price of £26 apiece https://lindandlime.com/

More and more craf companies seem to have adopted this private viewing strategy. They seem to sell out within hours  https://borjamoronta.com/shopsignup




13 comments:

Liz Hamblyn said...

Yes, I would have to say that any ginger in baking, particularly anything that looks like a slice, is certainly an acquired taste and not one that I have. Ginger cake, yes and dare I say it ginger ale with a Pimm's is rather nice.

Linda said...

Lind and Lime bottles rival those of Harris gin for a second life as water carafes. That's my excuse for keeping buying both.

WFT Nobby said...

Lots of interesting nuggets of information in this post, but I'm struggling to overcome being envious that you can enjoy an uninterrupted view of the northern lights from the warmth of your new cabin. What time did they appear? I went outside into the cold at around 11:30 pm last night. No light pollution here on Loch Torridon, but I didn't see any colour in the clear skies.
Cheers, Gail.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I'm with Gail in having lights envy - despite the fact that there were finally properly clear skies over the Hutch last night (which also meant 1'C temps), no sign of any colours anywhere around - and I checked at several points in the night. Sigh... I'd take the ginger slice... YAM xx

Travel said...

"the young man with his hair tied in a knot on top of his head tells me so" this paints a simple but clear picture in my mind. I understand the character from this simple line.

jabblog said...

The chocolate slice looks exceedingly sweet.
How lovely to have your own light show

Diaday said...

That is a wicked slice of chocolate goodness!

Stephanie said...

I enjoyed the Bo Diddley clip, then explored other photos. I wasn't aware that tartan had played such a prominent part in the wardrobe of Bo and his band. The things I do learn on this blog!

Lisa in France said...

I remember wearing kilts in grade school in the US, with a giant pin. It wasn't the 40's but maybe the campaign was effective? Also, in our neighborhood in Tokyo, all the students at the local Catholic girls' school wore tartan skirts as part of their uniform. I had been looking at salt soap as a stocking stuffer, based on a different recommendation, but neither of my kids goes near bar soap anymore. Very jealous about the Northern Lights. I saw the aurora when I went to college up on the New York/Canadian border, but they were always white. I also have friends who've traveled from Japan to Europe to see them and utterly failed, so I think I must leave it up to the fates whether I get to see them again in their true glory.

rottrover said...

That chocolate!

Jake of Florida said...

What a touching moment of silence. From those no strangers to caring for those we remember on November 11 at 11.

Lizzie said...

I'm over 70 but I still have a kilt (Lindsay) from my days in an all girls secondary school. I probably should get it out and wear it!

Pam in NH said...

My Mom was having fun dressing her little girls in kilts w/ pins in the 60s. I remember Aran sweaters plus her pride and joy: "tams". Did you notice a Boston accent on Mr Wicked? It's a New England thing, wicked good.