Tuesday, January 21, 2020

' Come to the place for which our fathers sighed '.


Cold this morning. Minus two according to the readout on the dashboard of the dog car. Sophie is indifferent to the chilly start to the day. A C-A-T has been spotted on one of the benches by the swimming pool. She hares off after it.


When the weather warms up the family diva is set for a major trim. Her hair has developed the thickness and texture of that faux asbestos wool used to insulate roof spaces. We would consider sending her to a groomer but the only time she went was not a success . Sophie is of that ' You think you're going to come near me with that blow drier ? Think again !!!! ' type of dog.  The groomer would phone us and say that our little angel was 'lively'. 'Lively' is groomer talk for 'snarling fiend'. 


Loic comes to blow leaves. Loic wanders round happily with Sophie following on behind redistributing his handiwork. Both Loic and Sophie are, in their own ways, happy with this modus vivendi. Efficiency is not a byproduct of their arrangement.


Sophie and her master head off to the greengrocers.  Fortune Cookies are on sale today. What the denizens of deepest deepest France profonde will make of Fortune Cookies beggars belief. Angus tells Sophie that this must be peak globalization.



Martin Luther King day music. This is ( I think ) only sung in America https://youtu.be/heuOSMXhMiQ?t=1289  but has the rather wonderful line ' Come to the place for which our fathers sighed ' - as good a one line description of the human condition as any you'll find.


9 comments:

Poppy Q said...

You have quite a few flowers in the garden for January, it seems to be much warmer than usual for this time of year?

WFT Nobby said...

I'm wondering in what language the fortunes are told.
Maybe hire a sheep shearer to tackle Sophie?

Lisa in France said...

Well, she seems quite appropriately prepared for your current weather!

Teena and Lala said...

I invested in 2 grooming courses in order to tackle Merlin; I was hopeless and Merlin was a reluctant case study. From 18 months, the groomers was a regular in Merlins social calendar. Although I trusted our groomer to be kind, Merlin hated it and I felt guilty every time I handed him over.
Lala now gives me the 'stink eye' for a couple of days after she has returned from her spa day.

Lisa in France said...

Cherry for some reason loves visiting the groomers and will even associate with the other dogs who are there - ordinarily she's not very sociable and she won't let us touch her with a brush. It's a mystery.

Pam in NH said...

Our Hannah had hip surgeries and I was loathe to leave her at a groomer for hours. I was able to find a mobile groomer known as the Woof Wagon that would come to your driveway. I was able to stay and help with the grooming, lifting, keeping her on the table, in the tub etc. Less stress for me and Hannah. The cost was $25 more than a drop off grooming.

Sheila said...

I am always amused by that errant wisp of fur which escapes Sophie's muzzle and bends toward her nose. It's perfectly illustrated in that next to last photo.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
As it is Chinese new year this week, I am guessing the cookies are a cultural nod... I'm with Sophie. No hairdryer in The Hutch! YAM xx

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

In past years, I would carry my fortune cookie home from the restaurant in my purse. I would call my dogs and upon seeing what I had, they would sit and wait for me to get the fortune cookie out of its wrapper. I would break the cookie in half, giving a half to each dog while reading the fortune to them. This was an occasional treat, and fortune cookie ritual my doggies and I shared. However, there would be times I forgot the cookie was in my purse. That is when I would find two dog heads in my purse, drooling on everything in there, until they located the fortune cookie!