Saturday, January 11, 2020

Redundant question.


Sunrise. A black C-A-T has been sleeping on the logs in the wood store . Sophie picks up the scent and is out of the house in hot pursuit before you can say ' Bingo ! ' Despite - or perhaps because of - her titanium knees Sophie can move at a remarkable speed. The black C-A-T is quicker.


It goes without saying that  our start to the day is accompanied by an 'enthusiastic' sound track. It also goes without saying that any villager trying to get a long uninterrupted lie in is less than delighted.


The bakers wife isn't on duty today. The baker appears from the kitchen with a two year old round his neck and a gaggle of others following on behind. His front of house presence coupled to the absence of his wife usually indicates that a new arrival is on the way. In this instance it might be better to say yet another new arrival is on the way.


A hint that the bakers family routine is out of kilter is the lack of cakes on display. I opt for an Opera and a Caramel eclair for me and  Rhum Bhaba and a raspberry tartlet for 'The Font'. The latter will of course be tasted, the word 'delicious' mouthed and then the remainder pushed across to me to finish.  Angus will then follow up with the redundant question ' Are you sure you don't want the rest of it ? '



$100,000 a year at Taco Bell. I'm not sure I've ever been in a Taco Bell. Denny's- yes; Taco Bell - no.  It was nonetheless something of a surprise to see this article : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-09/taco-bell-offering-100-000-salary-amid-mounting-worker-shortage


9 comments:

Lisa in France said...

I think I would have been most tempted by the eclair! I saw the Taco Bell salary information yesterday, and the article I read mentioned that managers at In-N-Out-Burger already make upwards of $160,000. It's very interesting to see this market shift.

Poppy Q said...

Mmmm eclairs.

Angus said...

Interesting. Hadn't heard that about In-N-Out Burger ( although I'd never heard of In-N-Out Burger ). Have to say that as an outsider the odds are that the incumbent will be re-elected if the economy holds up. One thing that could derail that would be the return of inflation and the end of Powells lower for longer mantra. Having lots of cheap credit card debt is one thing; having lots of expensive credit card debt another.

WFT Nobby said...

The choice of cakes at the bakery might be limited but the quality looks good. Mine's a raspberry tartlet and I'm not sharing! Cheers, Gail.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
yes, that tartelette looks lush... now. What do I have for breakfast??? YAM xx

Sheila said...

Next time you're in California and want a quick snack, you'll have to stop by a Taco Bell. Of course, they're everywhere, but I associate your eating at Denny's with the Westcoast.
The very mention of a win by the incumbent fills me with dread. I'm seriously thinking of voting for Bloomberg in the Democratic primary (March 3 here in Texas). Seems to me that he has the best chance of defeating Trump.

Coppa's girl said...

Raspberry tartlet here too, please, but if they've all gone I'll settle for an éclair instead.
Angus, I hope that your black C-A-T sleeping in your woodstore remains just one. My next door neighbour's have a feral tabby C-A-T sleeping in their woodstore, which quickly became four when she produced three kittens! She's still there, and I fear that her rotund shape means there may be an influx any day now.

Teena and Lala said...

An Opera or an Eclair will always get my vote, but €3.90 each! I've haven't been over to the Convent in a while, but good gracious they have gone up.

Stephanie said...

The baker's ever-expanding family calls to mind the Toodles family in Dombey and Son.