Monday, January 6, 2020

Find and feast.


Sophie wanders into the kitchen to find out why I'm not ready to head off on our morning walk. I explain that shoe laces have to be tied. She gives me an unforgiving ' What a lame excuse ' look. Today, it's clear, is a flat hair day.


Chilly this morning. Above freezing but not by much. This is of course PON weather and a time when those thick impenetrable coats are worth their weight in gold. Sophie scurries off along the lane, head down, tail waving. There may be owl kill to find and feast on. She looks up briefly at the goats and donkeys but ignores the geese and horses.


Apples in the greengrocers now being sold in paper containers. I'd seen this in Marks and Spencers in London last month . Good to see the plastic free idea catching on here. Grapes are now sold in open paper bags. This is environmentally friendly but allows 'grazers' to reach in and sample them. I see one man munch away on no less than six grapes.  Popped into his mouth one after the other. What's left of the bunches more stalk than grape. The local French are great grazers - a trait that drives me insane on health and honesty grounds.


Chinese Nashi from China. I have yet to see anyone buy these. Presumably someone out there is longing for a dinner time Nashi ? Perhaps not.


A retirement home for whales : 
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-canadian-waters-eyed-for-first-permanent-retirement-home-for-whales/


Saving St.Marks ? : https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/st-mark-s-wants-to-build-a-perspex-anti-flood-wall



10 comments:

Lisa in France said...

Very nice story about Corky the whale! I hope that some people will be courageous and give the nashi a try. Nashi are also grown in Japan, and they are very good - crunchy, with a taste that is somewhere between and apple and a pear.

Poppy Q said...

I admire the paper wrapping in the supermarket and like you I hate when people eat the products like that unless they have paid for it first. I also hate lazy people who just abandon what they don't want in any aisle leaving meat sitting in the laundry section.

We have no more plastic bags in the supermarket, only paper ones or take your own reusable ones which is fine. We have yet to get rid of plastic wrapping of cucumbers and other fruit and veg yet.

The Life of Riley said...

Angus, I like nashi. If you've never tried nashi before be daring in 2020, buy one and try thin slices of it with mild and strong cheeses and wine (in the same way some people have thin slices of pear on their cheeseboard while drinking different wines)... you might be surprised, and at worst if you hate the flavour it is a legitimate excuse to have an extra sip of wine!

WFT Nobby said...

We are seeing more paper and other plastic-reducing options here in Scotland too, but I fear there is still a very long way to go.
I've never before heard of nashi but am now curious.
Cheers, Gail.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I am in the TRY THE NASHI camp. Adore them - the flavour is quite delicate, but their juicyness and crunchiness is what pleases my mouth. As I am allergic to traditional apples, these provide the type of 'woody fruit' to balance my fruit bowl. YAM xx

Coppa's girl said...

Never heard of Nashi, and they don't appear in the supermarkets here - perhaps because they are not grown locally. Sadly still far too much plastic here. Most of our fruit and veg are pick your own, so a plastic bag is essential for multiple items, although I prefer to stick price labels onto single fruit.

Teena and Lala said...

Nashi are great!
The retirement home is lovely for those poor whales, robbed of their best years in captivity for so long, but also sad that such a thing has to exist.
x

Susan said...

Some French must eat nashis. I inherited a nashi tree in the small orchard we bought ten years ago in the Touraine.

Sheila said...

So Venice is investing all that money and expertise on building flood gates but will choose not to close them if it means interrupting commercial shipping even as St Mark's is slowly being destroyed? Sounds to me like the authorities are being bribed. Once again I take note of your interesting source...how many people read The Art Newspaper?

marci said...

I keep hoping we will hop on the ban plastic train. That will not stop the grocer grazers. Infuriates me when I grab a bag of carrots or oranges only to find a hole where several have been pulled out. Why do people not believe in paying before trying, not to mention wash your produce before it's consumed?