Friday, January 24, 2020

Happy to be proved wrong.


Good morning from Sophie who starts her day looking almost respectable.


The supermarket entering into the spirit of the Chinese New Year with a display of improbably named Suzi Wan oriental products. These do not seem to be flying off the shelf. Probably something to do with the Wuhan coronavirus stories that dominate the morning radio show . The radio announcer tells us in a tone of disbelief that Wuhan has a population greater than Paris.

The Chinese aisles may be empty but there's a group of ladies carefully examining a large display of bags for hanging your ham haunches out to dry. Must be pig slaughtering time.



Two workmen are installing a new display cabinet near the exotic foods aisle. Waters of the World. You can now wash down your peanut butter or Polish gherkins with a bottle of Norwegian water at E5.90 for 3/4 litre. In a land where Evian is king I'm betting this will be a retail disaster but am happy to be proved wrong.



And a pitch perfect Scots song for tomorrows Burns night. 
https://youtu.be/zr9C_R2UM20?t=26

11 comments:

Lisa in France said...

Some of the waters in that case are incredibly expensive, at least in the US, so I am betting you are right. It looks like a collection of all the waters that hotels leave near the minibar in hopes you won't realize they're not free!

Angus said...

And the environmental cost of shipping glass bottles of water half way round the world .

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...and Joan Baez too boot! Wonderful. YAM xx

Coppa's girl said...

Good morning Sophie, you look bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to have another best day ever.
In Norway they have recycled all glass bottles for years, so I assume that those sold in France will also be recycled? It does seem rather a long way to go though! Somehow I can't imagine that any canny local will be unwise enough to consider buying even one bottle just to try. Could this be the result of some reciprocal trading agreement, I wonder? France sends it's wine and Norway sends it's water.

Kittypup said...

Happy Burns Night & Happy Chinese New Year. Both falling on the same day this year - we're considering Sweet n Sour Haggis tomorrow....we could be on to something big :-)

Sheila said...

Thanks for Joan Baez...55 years ago!

Fay said...

I bigify the photos first, to enjoy the details, before I read. I asked myself, how would one possibly use a ham sack?? And I laughed out loud at your postulation! Good Morning to you, Sophie.

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

I can not be in Scotland tomorrow for Burns Night. But, I will always remember when I discovered Burns Cottage, here, in Atlanta. I was so excited to report this news to you. And I thank you again for information you responded with, being the true Scotsman you are!

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Wuhan has nearly half the population of Australia! A favourite song, sung by a favourite singer. Thanks.

Angus said...

These days I would think you are more likely to find a Burns Night in Buckhead rather than the cottage - but I could be wrong.

Angus said...

And a little further west Chongqai has a population of 31 million which puts London and NY firmly in the shade.