Sunday, April 19, 2020

Sunday in France profonde.


The weather forecast said it would be bright and sunny. Turns out its drizzly and humid. Sophie's fur doesn't respond well to humidity. She walks with me to the storm drain where we sit , side by side, and I tell her this is her home. Sophie gets an ear scrunch. In return I get my right ear licked.


Storms are expected to follow through this afternoon. That should put paid to the wisteria. In the little market town the electronic display board is asking for any citizens with spare material to donate it for the Red Cross mask making appeal. In the absence of commercial masks the local ladies will be working at home to make them for the local inhabitants.


Yesterday the second and final box of chocolate was delivered......


... together with some CD's. The Italian wine shipper maintains a disdainful silence.


Australian Chinese takeaways : https://www.messynessychic.com/2018/05/24/they-are-the-chinese-restaurant-road-trippers/

A great biryani : https://www.instagram.com/p/B-y6hNinQyd

Something unexpected from Harvard. Modern Covid-19 obituaries can be unexpected and charming and honest and heartfelt: https://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2020/04/dorothy-theresa-sawchak-mankiw.html

10 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

A lovely photo of Sophie under the wisteria is a fine way to start a Sunday. Also fine, but sobering, is the plain, charming obituary.
I'd like to pass on thanks here to 'Taste of France' for her link to the NYT article on making your own face mask. After reading this, I reactivated my long dormant Singer sewing machine and have been experimenting in anticipation of future requirements (either legal or social) to wear a mask in crowded places. I needed to add some darts to the design to shape around my nose, and it occurs to me that maybe the Chinese and Japanese more readily take to mask wearing because their generally small noses make for an easier fit!
Cheers, Gail.

Angus said...

A double thanks to Taste of France. The comments section on dog blogs are full of kind people offering sage and timely advice.

Poppy Q said...

Sophie babe - my hair is like yours when it hits humid air.

Please can you taste test the chocolate for us. It looks fancy and we could do with a bit of fancy at the moment.

Unfortunately the post office is shut here, but if it opens can we send you toilet paper? We have plenty here and would be happy to help.

Julie

Lisa in Tokyo said...

Gail's comment made me laugh - it is actually a stereotype in Japan that foreigners have big noses. My Japanese husband kindly describes mine as reminding him of Mozart. I loved the link about Australian Chinese restaurants - I thought I was the only one who searches for these kinds of places - and I also read the lovely obituary with great interest. It is a small world - Mankiw describes growing up in Cranford, about two towns away from where I grew up, and spending summer vacations on Long Beach Island as we did. Reading his words brought back the world I grew up in. I hope your wisteria will bloom again this year. We had a huge storm here yesterday, and it blew away the last of the late cherry blossoms.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Angus, your blog is a meeting point for meaningful thinking and thoughtful minds... Thank you for being our lynchpin. Methinks you deserve that fancy chocolate. And the wine. When it arrives. YAM xx

Camille said...

A fine year for your lovely blooming Wisteria, hopefully it lasts a few more days. Our small area, pop:15K, enjoys no less than six vintage chinese restaurants. All are within a few miles radius, have been around forever and have similar charming decor. What are the odds? Despite Covid-19 they're doing a booming take-away business. You might say we're spoiled for choice. The chocolates look wonderful! Fingers crossed the wine arrives.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

Isn't wine an essential service?

Pam in NH said...

OOH! That first photo! Magical home and gorgeous PONette...
Enjoy every bit of that chocolate!

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

I know the 'Hing Wah' well....what a laugh.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

The Wisteria really is beautiful! I recognize the chocolate - A perfect gift and treat!

In the midst of all the sadness that COVID has brought, I am inspired by those who selfishlessly donate their time and talent and materials to help those on the frontlines and in their communities/villages.