Saturday, April 25, 2020

The light burns bright.


The grey skies and rain have gone. Instead we have blue skies and heat. The grass and weeds multiplying more quickly than Angus can cut them.


We head off to the waterfall. Although it's early it's already hot - and still - down here in the valley. Sophie considers chasing something small and furry but decides she just can't be bothered.


Angus sets off on a quick walk to see the cows. A switch inside Sophie's brain has been turned on. In this heat we don't do walks. We do ambles. She trails along behind sniffing the grass verges for 'finds'.


Later today we shall go to the dog sanctuary to give them a cheque.  Somehow a few faithful ladies are continuing to care for their charges. The number of abandoned dogs has skyrocketed just as donations have dried up. The faithful ladies soldier on despite the swelling numbers and the complexities of lockdown. 

The builder passes in his van. He promises to stop by to discuss when he can come to lay the new tiles for a dining area in front of the house. ' I'll be by in the next couple of weeks' he says with studied imprecision.

The cleaning lady is in lockdown. 'The Font' speaks to her once a week to let her know that we're praying for her rapid return. She may be away longer than planned. Seems she's slipped and broken a rib.

Loic, the heavily bifocaled 'gardener' , would love to come and drive the lawn tractor but the matron of his home thinks the gendarmes might take a dim view of this. We agree to monitor the situation.



Angus and Sophie find this being played on the radio as they drive back up from the waterfall - best listened to with the windows down and the volume turned up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjLaklr3zbA


I'm late to this but it made me chuckle : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RxzFZkHXEY

7 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

The happiness of the massive crowd in the George Ezra/Glastonbury video almost brought tears to my eyes this morning. The sound of me loudly singing along with "I'll be riding shotgun, underneath the hot sun" might have made Bertie cry for different reasons!
Have a great weekend (if you've clocked that it's weekend),
Cheers, Gail.

Lisa in France said...

Sophie has a kind of Veronica Lake look going today - she has lovely eyes. I was sorry to hear that Loic is being kept away, but maybe that is why we are able to enjoy the beautiful wildflowers in your yard? When I looked at the music video, I realized I know the song but had no idea who sings it - it must be on one of my kids' playlists. It made me feel rather sad looking at the festival crowd, as I wonder how long it will be before we can gather carefree in crowds like that again. In the meantime, I hope the nice weather continues through the weekend for you.

Teena and Lala said...

George Ezra has a wonderful, bone density enhancing voice. The little stream looks inviting.
Have a great weekend.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I also snag along with Georgie boy... Ta! The ROF is looking positively idyllic. YAM xx

Sheila said...

Already very hot in our part of Texas too. About 35C yesterday, 'plunging' to 26C or so today. The AC is churning away. All this is about a month ahead of schedule.
I've been wondering about Loic and thought he might have been disciplined for leaving the home the last time he showed up at the ROF.
I'm also wondering what those pink wildflowers are in the last photo. I echo Yamini's comment about the ROF.

Poppy Q said...

Oh look at your farmhouse in the spring sunshine - glorious. I like George Ezra, his music is joyful and the interviews I have seen in him make me like him more and more.

Julie

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

We are seeing a surge in dog adoptions right now. I just hope they are not retuned to the shelter when this is over and life goes back to normal.