Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Changing policies


The family diva is harnessed up. She watches me put on my shoes with an air of resigned impatience.

This mornings croissant a 6.5/10 getting on for a 7/10. The waitress brings out our order to a table that's been set up in the car park. We have a battered black Peugeot 108 for company. Sophie is told she's 'adorable'. Sophie gives the young waitress a ' get on with it sister ' look.  When it comes to croissants, or indeed anything else that's edible, Sophie is a believer in the power of instant gratification. Praise and ear scrunches are two a penny. A croissant is altogether more bankable.


Angus considers buying a couple of cakes but it's too early in the morning to be making such important decisions.


It's three and a half month since Angus went to the barbers. An appointment is made. The barber looks at m ' The Font' trimmed hair in silent horror before uttering an audible : ' Mon Dieu !'. Thankfully, he's wearing a mask so any other observations are lost.


Social distancing French barber style. To comply with safety regulations the barbers wife has placed a clothes horse in front of the cash till. This is held fully open by some red and white tape.

The sofa, the old armchairs and the sickly aspidistra that doubles as an ashtray have all gone. Two socially distanced white plastic chairs replace them.

Angus tells the barber to use the electric clippers and give him a cut for hot weather. He takes me at my word. 'The Font' who meets me at the newsagents considers the end result to be somewhat severe. ' Well, on the bright side, you won't need to go back for another haircut anytime soon' the verdict on the barbers labours. The barber has upped his, pre-tip, price to 20 euros. He allows 30 minutes for cutting hair and disinfecting the 'salon'. Disinfecting means a quick rub down of the surfaces with an antiseptic wipe.  Last week he had 65 appointments. The same this week. He has a waiting list off 200 local residents waiting to be shorn. The other barber, on the square, by the hat shop is closed. So too is the little bookstore and the ribbon shop. They will not be re-opening. French towns are about to be hollowed out even more.




California comparisons : https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/ha20rx/oc_these_6_areas_in_the_us_have_roughly_the_same/

I must admit to never having heard of him until recently  but I'm proud/happy/glad that a young black football player can shame the government into changing its policies :
https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford

You learn sometyhing new every day : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen



9 comments:

Lisa in France said...

I never heard the word before, but it seems very necessary, as I am sure everyone has their own personal mondegreen. I also never heard of Marcus Rashford before opening your link, but I am happy to know of him now. Amazing people seem to emerge when we need them.

Taste of France said...

Favorite mondegreen: my baby brother belting out Wayne Newton's "Danke Schön" along with the radio as either "Doctor Shane" or "Drop the shade, baby, drop the shade..."
Fewer customers per hour need to be compensated for. €20 for a haircut remains reasonable.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I too am grateful for your links and the education they brought - know the effect, it is good to have a word for misquotation! And Hoorah and more power to young Mr Rashford. YAM xx

WFT Nobby said...

My favourite Mondegreen. "I lost my heart to a draught excluder (starship trooper)" Sarah Brightman, 1978.
How is it that any comparison between Marcus Rashford (young, black, from hard-up single parent family) and our current PM (elite background, expensive education, every conceivable 'privilege' in life) should weigh so heavily in favour of the former? Proof if ever needed that character is key.
Finally, I could help with that cake decision. The raspberry one and the lemon tart I think.
Cheers, Gail.

Coppa's girl said...

Sophie is right - why waste time considering the finer points of a croissant, when it's there to be eaten!
Angus, it's NEVER too early to make a decision about which cakes to buy. I'll go with Gail's choice every time.

Poppy Q said...

I think all small towns will have lots of closures, as those that struggle week to week to make a living will lose their businesses.

The letter from Marcus is beautifully written and should shame government ministers. Children here too go hungry, and it shocks me reading about childhood poverty, something we associate with Victorian times, but is happening here in 2020.

The cakes look good.

Camille said...

Yes, absolutely agree with Gail's choices, but one of each seems sensible too.

My favorite Mondegreen? The Eagle's song, Hotel California...for years I thought they were singing "warm smell of colitis, rising up through the air" Imagine my surprise to learn the lyric is actually, "warm smell of "colitas" rising up through the air" (i.e.,marijuana buds) which in retrospect certainly makes more sense.

I always enjoy your links. A wee bit of learning and enlightenment each morning is a very good thing.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

I am adventuring into the hair stylist space tomorrow. It is one of thr few things i missed!

Anonymous said...

My mother's favorite, "blessed art thou a monkey swimming"
Cheers!