Saturday, December 10, 2022

Christmas song # 7

A dusting of snow this morning. On our tour of the village Sophie is intrigued to find that the puddles have all frozen over. She discovers that by walking on them she can break the ice and have a drink. How cool is that ? Cracking ice also makes a very satisfying noise. 

I reckon 40% of her body mass must now be fur. This comes in handy in a Scottish coastal winter. 


The town is emptying out now. Students finishing their exams and heading off to warmer climes. The threat of Christmas week rail strikes a further spur to getting home early.  Down on the Chariots of Fire beach the family diva sees a student making a snowball. She becomes transfixed... as in completely transfixed. The snowball gets larger and larger as the student rolls it across the snowy sand. It seems to have a life of its own. She's put on the lead and I try to coax her away. She refuses to budge.  Sophie's finally let off the lead so she can go and sniff it. 


From Sophie's perspective the snowball is magical. It moves but has no scent. What sort of wonder is this ? Eight long, chilly, minutes are spent observing or sniffing the snowball until the family diva decides it's time to move on. A PONettes life is full of amazing discoveries. The student, it transpires, is a dog lover from Omaha, Nebraska. He's waiting to head off for a United flight from Edinburgh to the US. Now, that's going to be a complex journey home.


We head into town and stop off for a warming bacon roll, a Jaffa Cake and a bowl of water. We are the only customers who venture outside.


The fish lady appears at the garden centre cafe. She shows up once a week. We order some lobsters for Christmas Eve. Lemon Sole - which was hard to find in France - is a big thing here. I pick up half a kilo...caught this morning.


Didn't even know this was a thing. Only in America. Christmas song #7 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiUDWMX0jsw

What toy was 'hot' the year you were born :https://stacker.com/retrospective/top-holiday-toys-year-you-were-born






12 comments:

Ruth said...

Eight long, chilly, minutes are spent INWARDLY COMMENTING ON DEAR SOPHIE observing or sniffing the snowball. I do hope it didn't take too long to warm up!

Travel said...

I lived in Florida for 20 years. I can remember the first time I saw snow after about 15 years, I was surprised by how cold it was.

WFT Nobby said...

Nobby appears to believe that all obedience commands learned over the past 8 months can be disregarded when there is snow on the ground...

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I'm as old as Barbie - but I never met her. Mechano and model planes were more my things.

Bit of a ponderous rendition of the carol today, and the tree topper appeared to be needing the loo... the school's health and safety officer must have been having conniptions! YAM xx

Diaday said...

My family lived in northern Ohio where we got a lot lake effect snow. One time after a snow, my dad went outside and started rolling a snowball. My siblings and I watched him through the window as it got bigger and bigger and bigger until he could no longer roll it. In a 6-year old's eyes, this was a magnificent, wonder-filled creation. Sophie and her eight minutes of exploring the snowball brought back a precious memory. I love seeing life through her eyes and your stories.

Lisa in France said...

I think the image of Sophie contemplating the snowball will likely stay with me forever. It was also lots of fun to remember all those toys - and surprising how many are still around.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I swear I live for that sort of weather. x

rottrover said...

Lemon sole...YUM...

Coppa's girl said...

Now Sophie will expect a huge snowball every day!
Found todays Carol somewhat macabre - a complete contrast to yesterday's offering from Kings. Why do Americans always have to have the biggest of everything?

Jake of Florida said...

Thinking about Sophie cracking the ice and hearing a satisfying sound as she then drank from the water underneath reminded me of cracking the caramelized topping on a creme brulee and enjoying the sound and then spooning up the creme. Simple pleasures!

Gemma's person said...

Sophie and your stories tend to tickle me. Thanks for a giggle almost every day.;)

ScrapsofMe said...

Ah, the singing Christmas tree. When I was a child my mother belonged to a choral group that put on the Charlotte NC Singing Christmas Tree. This is their 68th year. I remember how grown up I felt when at age 12 I was deemed civilized enough to attend a performance. My grandmother cut down a fancy dark red velvet dress to fit me and I felt like a movie star. Thanks for reminding me of the ghost of Christmas past.
Pam and Dixie the fierce wee Scottie.