Saturday, December 30, 2023

Sunshine.

 

Cold this morning. The frosted sand firm underfoot. Archie the arthritic labrador is on new hip medication. He wanders up to see me with a ball in his mouth.' Is it alright to throw it ?'  I ask his owner. " Oh yes ! He's rediscovered puppyhood " she replies. He hurtles off down the beach like a young 'un.


With the rain gone and the sun out town has suddenly become full. Hogmanay is a bigger family holiday than Christmas in these parts. By the time the sun is up the post breakfast crowd are out on the beach. Yesterday, we spent twenty minutes driving backwards and forwards looking for a parking space. The shop keepers and cafe owners will be happy .


Even the surf boarding 'academy' is open. I rather admire the registration plate on their old Land Rover. Six hardy folk are getting their wet suits on and ready to test the waters. The owner says they'll be 'busy' with family classes in the afternoon. All I can assume is that moderns wet suits are better at retaining the warmth than they were thirty years ago.


A random purchase in the bookshop. A subject I can say I know nothing about.


On one of the grand houses overlooking the 18th tee of the Old Course a rather fine door lintel.

10 comments:

Virginia said...

That article on Temperament is fascinating . Our two grandchildren are so different and this does shed light on them. Happy New Year to you both.

jabblog said...

It looks bright and clear . . . and cold.
I enjoyed the article on temperament - one more thing to fox parents!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
As I gaze out the window at snowflakes coating the roof over the way (I can't see Bishop's Seat through the fall, but am sure it has a full layer by now), I briefly envy your sunshine. Then realised that this is only the third ever snowfall witnessed from the Hutch in my ten years here... so am, instead, appreciating the sound of children somewhere making the most of it! I am sure there will be other children not keen on being out in the wet and cold. Plenty of adults in the two camps, too... YAM xx

Travel said...

Having lived in the semi-tropics, I was surprised that people surf in Britain and Ireland.

Coppa's girl said...

That is rather an amusing registration - very apt!
A couple of my old Labs had arthritis medication which worked well and they would hurtle after tennis balls. I sometimes wondered if it wouldn't have worked as well for me too!

Lisa in France said...

I am happy to hear that arthritic Archie is enjoying life on his new medication. In Japan as well, New Year's is the bigger family holiday. I don't much miss Japan, but I will be a bit sad tomorrow at not being able to follow some of our old New Year's traditions. Maybe by next year we'll figure out how to do it here, but for the moment, we must adapt. My husband is still mulling whether the oysters at Grand Frais are to be trusted, but at least we have the Clementines. I am also trying to teach our parrot how to whistle Old Land Syne in anticipation of your reminding us tomorrow how it should be sung, but she is currently still mixing it up with the Queen of the Night's aria from the Magic Flute. Oh, well, we have one more day!

Lisa in France said...

Apologize for typos - Auld Lang Syne

Angus said...

Lisa in France - Wise to be cautious about the Grand Frais oyster storage. We always went to the market where we could see if they were fresh.

rottrover said...

So happy to learn that Archie has rediscovered his puppyhood!

Jake of Florida said...

Interesting article about temperament. More nature than nurture then?