Everyday life in a rickety old Scottish farmhouse with a very happy Polish Lowland Sheepdog. A record of those unimportant little things that are too important to be forgotten.
Sunday, November 24, 2019
The hospital on a Sunday a cold, clinical place. Overnight the storm has stripped the last of the leaves from the trees that shade the car park.The skeleton staff close up at lunchtime. Bob has had a walk but is refusing to eat. ' We need to be realistic about things ' says the duty vet.
I suggest the logical next step. ' The Font ' makes it extremely clear that the hospital is not where the next stage of his journey will take place.
We'd bring him home now but all our vets are away until Monday morning. We discuss the logistics. There is a reason dogs go to hospital. It is finally decided that there is no point in imposing a night of pain. Bob will stay in the hospital on the drip overnight. Tomorrow he'll be collected early and brought home to familiar surroundings and friendly faces. This decision is revisited many times over in the following hours but is the right one. Journeys should always begin from home.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
So sorry he is not recovering. Paws crossed for a sudden improvement.
I'm glad, whatever happens, it won't be in a distant hospital but where he's known and loved.
My heart is breaking :( As sensitive as Bob has been in the past to being away from Sophie, perhaps there is a chance that he will eat once he is back home and reunited with her?? I would definitely want to at least try that as soon as possible. Please don't give up hope quite yet...
When our dogs have been in a similar situation, we've found that bringing them home will start them eating. Maybe a choice of his favorite treats? Our prayers and good wishes are with you.
The only comfort we get is the knowledge that we truly loved them and did all we could for them.
You are the best, Angus and Font.
We love you Bob. XXXX
He is a sensitive boy...I agree and pray for this outcome.
Praying that Bob will rally against all hope and eat once he is reunited with his flock. Much love and prayers from a long-time reader in California.
Bob will know, as we all do, that all decisions you make for him are made with wisdom and love.
My thoughts are with you, Gail.
Knowing and fully understanding your heartbreak right now. It will be an such an arduous 24 hours while you wait to bring him home. It seems we've all walked this final mile far too many times. It never gets easier. Please know that we're holding you and the Font in our hearts and prayers.
It breaks my heart. Please don't lose hope too quickly. I know you want what's best for him. Maybe he'll need a bit more time to feel better. In any case, it just feels it's still years before his time. He's such a sweet boy. So sorry you have to go through all this.
You have created such a vital portrait of Bob for all of us over the years, it's really hard for me to grasp that this is happening. I will also pray for a miracle and send you both my best wishes.
So sorry to read about Bob. Thinking about you all and hoping for a miracle...
I'm wondering, since the vet said other dogs had contracted this same walnut poison, have any of them survived? ( if that is the cause) I'm still hoping. In my experience, dogs will not eat when they are unable to manage the digestion...as if they know. I am hoping he will begin to turn around...so said here.
Just like Lisa, I find it hard to grasp that this is actually happening. I'm so glad that you are bringing Bob home to be where he belongs. Sleeping with his muzzle on your toes seems to me to be the best medicine of all.
I've been reading up on how susceptible dogs are to toxins from mold, even some cheeses perhaps foraged out of the garbage. I was quite surprised to learn this. There's always mention, however, of tremors being one of the first indications of the poisoning, but I don't think you mentioned Bob's experiencing these. Several medical journal articles mention prolonged recovery periods, which sounds hopeful. We all love you, Bob
Perhaps when he is back home in familiar surroundings with the people he loves, and who love him so much, he'll turn that corner, start to eat and begin on the road to recovery.
Thinking about you all.
This is such a very sad news post. And one that is terribly hard to accept. How can such a beautiful, loving and loved dog be so cruelly knocked down so quickly? We join everyone who is praying for some sign of improvement in Bob's condition over the next 24 hours. As upsetting as this is for all of us who follow devotedly the ROF family, we can only imagine how devastating this is for all of you. We send you our love and prayers as we cling to even a glimmer of hope for dear dear Bob.
Well said Anonymous, my sentiments exactly!
Yes. I vaguely remember dogs of a wonderful PON breeder in Poland being poisoned. Some passed away but some recovered and are doing fine. It took a couple of weeks on a drip if I remember corectly. It was a sad story but at least a couple 9f them recovered.
I am sad beyond words. We have grown to love Bob as our own.
Judi in Kansas City
Please read an article in the Falkirk herald. Might be important. They saved the dogs by giving them plasma as well as antibiotics etc
Thanks for all your thoughts . We will find out what 3 days of plasma have done for him tomorrow am. At the moment kidney function is below 20% of acceptable levels. This article sets out the course of action to be followed -
Just google Falkirk herald vomiting bug. It's scary but do-able. Sending love to you all x
Thank you for the Falkirk link.
So sorry to read this. What crappy timing for you! I am impressed at your willingness to keep us all updated too. I don't think that can be easy.
This all was so sudden, it is hard to grasp. As Lisa said, you have painted such a vivid portrait of stoic, faithful Bob over the years. I join everyone in hoping for a turnaround once sensitive Bob is back in the familiarity of home.
I wasn't expecting this kind of post after the one yesterday.
Oh please don't give up. Stay strong.
I belong to many many Wesitie groups. We believe in praying over our fur babies. They have been answering my request with saying they are 🙏🏻 for Bob. I am praying also day and night.
When Bob comes home he will feel so much better and especially when he sees Sophie's happy face.
Offer all his favorite foods to him. It might take sometime, just keep offering his favorite food or treats.
So many had to try quite sometime before they ate, but they finally did.
Just don't give up to soon. With God all things are possible.
Muffus had a 31/2 Pound tumor removed in May. I do know just how you feel right now. He made it with a benign report. He is ten years old and doing great.
I have 🙏🏻 for all of you sincere you had only one fur baby, through looking for Bob and Sophie till now. Love these two babies of yours.
Keep fighting for him to live.
OH. Been there. It's a journey for all... Sharing this in an envelope of Love is surely the optimum. The heartpain takes a bit more work... sending Love x 87... YAM xx
Bringing Bob home is a very good decision. Wherever the journey will go, you will do the right thing. You are all in my prayers.
Sorry, the above comment comes from Luzia from Basel
Like other people - I hope, hope, hope, that when he's at home, things will start improving. Even a little bit by a little bit. Don't give up, Bob. You're a determined and good boy. Sending all good thoughts.
Milodog, Maybe you could share a brief mention of how they saved the dogs from the vomiting bug. I looked it up couldn't read it because they put a big sign saying I had to agree for them to put cookies on my iPad. I didn't care for that to happen. Others might need this information also. You never know with all the strange things going around.
Oh, Bob....soon you will have the comfort of home. That, in itself, is a small bright spot. Lots of love to you and yours.
the vomiting and diarrhoea bug in this article has caused severely ulcerated bowel and in addition gas had travelled from the bowel to the lymph nodes and liver. Treatment was a plasma transfusion along with intravenous antibiotics and analgesia as well as supportive medication for ulceration and nausea. One dog in particular was seen by four different vets at two practices. Six visits over a period of 11 days before he was referred who discovered how much danger he was in. With the right medication he was home within four days although he is still recovering
I just received this message from someone who is praying for Bob.
Prayers ! Get baby food total puriee , meat if possible get a syringe from a drug store like they give you for kids or baby medicine , suck food up into it and feed a little at a time in the side part of mount a little at a time.
I know a lady who saved her Westie who hadn't eaten in many days like Bob. They really had to stick with it for days, he finally started eating on his on. It wasn't overnight. They gave him his water the same way. He had been in the Vet many days also.
I remember we had a cat that had a liver problems many many years ago. He was in the school of Vet medicine. They put a tub in his neck and we fed him puriee cat food into the tube. He lived and was able to eat on his on.
I didn't think of this till the lady sent me the above to share with you. That method saved our cat.
Milodog, thank you adding this item here for me and others. It is worth trying anything that will save your fur babies. If you read all my messages you read about my Muffus. We spent over $5,000.00 to save his life. It was worth each penny.
So many are praying for Bob. People everywhere have big tender ❤️❤️ for fur babies and their owners. It is so obvious right here on this outstanding blog and the owners.
Still hoping and praying along with everyone else for Bob, you, the Font, and Sophie too.
May Bob find comfort being home, surrounded by those he loves most. My thoughts are with you all today and tomorrow.
One thing I read as a young Dog parent, “dogs thrive on routine”. You reacted promptly in an emergency situation. You have responded on the advice of the services available to you. Bringing Bob home on Monday is another wise decision. Following the Drake Center protocol seems most logical. I am holding on to the hope that between your local Vets, and the loving care that only you can provide, Bob will thrive. What you are going through now is heart wrenching; as Bob’s loyal supporters we all feel helpless and heartbroken. May blessings be with all at The ROF, our love is already there.
Wishing for the best for all of you with a heavy heart here in California.
Keeping you all close in my thoughts today. Home is definitely the best place to be. Much love. ♥
I was asked to share this link with you from a Praying for Pets that I asked to pray for @ann baker I am praying for this dog please let me know whose dog it is and send a picture of him along with his name and age. Did you learn of this from a Westie group? Many things can be done to detoxify pets. Here is some information which could be helpful. DETOX
I know I have showed up a lot today. Just caring so much for Bob and all of you. That when others what to share I feel I should pass it on. People care and they are praying. I am getting so so many people responding their concerns and telling me they are praying.
Prayers to God for your little buddy Bob - that he may be comforted and healed at home where he is best loved.
One only needs to see the number of comments from all who have grown to love BOB so much. ANGUS and the FONT - when you do bring BOB home Monday morning - he will have the comfort of his familiar home, his sister SOPHIE, the sights and smells he is used to. Our beloved dogs
thrive on routine and familiarity of their family. BOB is very attached to his best friend and confidant - ANGUS - and their daily routine of sitting on the storm drain and discussing the world, the treasured croissant ends, his sister demanding seat-rights in the back of the car, and all else. This routine was disrupted lately with the necessary trip to London for ANGUS' own care and health. I hope he is allowed to experience 'home' again tomorrow before any conclusion is acted upon. Who knows? Just being home may give incentive for 'another fight'. The FONT's cooking may entice, his sister SOPHIE may comfort, and being near ANGUS at home may soothe. I hope, for BOB, that he can experience these things. With all best intentions and love from the Westcoast of Canada.
Could the FONT accidentally drop a cooked chicken on the floor when Bob is in the kitchen tomorrow?
I haven't been on my computer for about a week. I was devastated to read about our dear Bob. I have said a healing prayer for him and a prayer of strength and comfort for you.
Nausea is likely the reason for the lack of wanting to eat. It is a side effect of the kidney issues. You may need to syringe feed for a while. It is not easy but with love and devotion it can be done and I know you have both those things.
Me personally while I understand the want to bring him home, I would think a couple more days on the drip flushing may be beneficial for the kidneys. I do wonder if there is a way to do both these things. Can your local place have him on a drip during the day and he comes home at night? I know one of the main reasons they prefer to do drips at the surgery is to keep the animal confined to a smaller space but maybe they would allow you to crate at home?
It takes time for the kidneys to heal. Your dog is young and is a fighter. I think more time is needed.
I have hope because I know we came back from a zero percent function. 20% is better than 0% ;) I think speak to your local vets before making any decisions.
Sending you all positive thoughts at this difficult time.
I agree with you. In one of my messages above about a cat we had years ago. He was saved because the Vet put a feeding tube in his neck and I fed him water down cat food into the tube using a syringe. It took time. The liver was healed. It was worth it all.
It is me again. You just can't imagine the number of people who keep leaving comments that they are praying for Bob.
One of them tried to leave you a message she didn't think it worked. She asked me to PLEASE get the following message to you now.
He needs milk thistle, largre doses right now to detox his liver. Milk thistle in large doses has saved other dogs whose liver enzymeswere extremely elevated.
Here is another request to share this with you.
Gloria said years ago their dog ate horse chestnuts which are poisonous. She was very sick. We spent 3 days just giving her spoonfuls of water
because that's all she would tolerate. On the 4th day she slowly started recovering. Hang in there beautiful pup. Sending love and prayers.
Prayers keep flooding in on my Facebook for Bob and the rest of his family.🙏🏻❤️
Beautifully said and our sentiments exactly.
My hisband asked me if I was checking on our son's flight from Toronto to Vancouver while I was on the computer late today. I said no I was checking on Bob, he looked at me for the answer. With all our hearts we are hoping he will survive this. Shelagh
Post a Comment