Thursday, October 13, 2022

2 months.


Two months since we moved from deepest France profonde to the Scottish coast. It seems like a year.... or possibly years since we moved. 

Life has been hectic - driving up with Sophie, that heat wave night from hell in the hotel with shag pile carpets, staying in the house in town, getting to know the sausage dispensing breakfast chef at a nearby hotel, having the furniture delivered. The family diva has taken to her new home with remarkable ease. Dogs are resilient things - although biscuits help. 

The weather here is harsher, the scenery completely different, getting tradesmen easier. The cost of living in either place identical, the bureaucracy similar, the dog friendliness pretty much the same. Sophie has traded in croissant ends for oatcakes. One lesson is universal - when you travel with a shaggy dog you are never alone. Complete strangers will come up and chat as if they're long lost friends.


It fell to four degrees last night. Our pre-dinner glass of wine spent standing at the fence watching the moon rise out of the ocean. We're back inside after ten minutes  - no point in lingering in temperatures like that. Lots of military traffic out over the North Sea. That unmistakable deep throated rumble of jet fighters and afterburners. This morning Angus puts on as many layers as he can find before venturing out. Surprise, surprise it's warm and mild.


Into town with the family diva. A coffee and bowl of water at the cafe where Kate and William used to meet. We're too early for the kitchen to have made the croissants. Sophie does her ' I'm an orphan dog that's never been fed ' routine. She gets a digestive biscuit from the waitress. Sophie seems more than satisfied with this. Her tail goes into overdrive.  We finish and leave. No one else appears. Dog owners and students keep very different hours. 


A sign of the times. The fish and chip shop now does Halloumi Burger with Sriracha. This is presumably for the international clientele. The rest of the menu seems better tailored to Scottish tastes.


 

10 comments:

Liz Hamblyn said...

I must admit I have to look up what "Sriracha" was. Not something I had ever heard of in rural New Zealand.

WFT Nobby said...

I also just looked up Sriracha. Given the number of friends I have with offspring (usually daughters) who are vegetarians, I suspect the chip shop's halloumi burger appeal is not confined to international students.
Nobby detected the crunch of frost on the grass at Duthie Park a hour ago.
Cheers! Gail.

Linda said...

I am familiar with Sriracha, having children in their late 20s. A large bottle accompanied each of them home at the end of every university semester.
As I remember from my daughter's student days at St Andrews, there are several cafés which claim that "Wills met Kate" on their premises.
Ah, the Tailend! Many is the queue I have stood in outside.
And yes, it does seem like longer since your migration north.

Coppa's girl said...

Only two months - it seems like forever! Life is so different for you all now.
I have looked back to some of your old blogs, just to enjoy the photos of the gently rolling hills and remember your life in a small deeply rural community.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
The Tailend is missing a trick, though, for now, there is vegan 'fish' available in several chip shops around the Bonny Land.

Yes, so much has happened at all levels this past two months, time seems to have become an entirely different dimension! I am glad Sophie has found solace in foodstuffs of a different 'dimension'...YAM xx

Travel said...

What can we learn about life and happiness from our sweet diva? My advice, use sriracha with great care, it is an acquired taste.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Sophie is an example to follow in dealing with life changes!

Up until this past summer, I had a co worker from Thailand, and so I've had different things made/flavored with sriracha, and I think it can strike a good balance of heat and flavor. But being a burger girl, had to look up what a halloumi burger is - I've not seen anything like it here, and in reading about halloumi, I think the closest thing I've had to it are (squeaky) cheese curds, like the ones my husband brought home a couple of weeks ago from Wisconsin. Hardly comparable, I'm sure.

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

Never having heard of halloumi (burger), I now realize it is actually a cheese burger.
Sriracha seemed exotic just a couple of years ago...now it's on grocery store shelves and cafe tables...and the bottles are twice the size of the ketchup bottles.

rottrover said...

OK. I know (and like) sriracha, and my friend who lives in Greece has made fried halloumi as an appetizer (yum!) but my question is, "what the heck is an Arbroath Smokie"?? I can only imagine that it's some sort of sausage?

50 and counting said...

Arbroath Smokie is fish. Smoked fish

I want to know where are the black, white puddings? The Haggis?