Thursday, October 6, 2022

Sup under the stars.

Blustery when we head out on the divas pre-dawn 'comfort break'. A month ago it was light when we set off. Now its dark and the sky is speckled with stars. I point out Saturn and Venus to my shaggy companion but she's sprinting ahead along the track towards her favourite puddle. Why drink from a fresh bowl of water inside when you can sup from a puddle lit by distant galaxies ? There may be some poetic canine logic in that.

After breakfast we stop off in the vets to collect Sophie's once a quarter 'tick' tablet. We want to stick with the type she's used to in France rather than the one they have in stock.  Sophie is not entirely enthusiastic about going into the surgery again. We leave quickly.


In town the students are already out and about even though it's an hour before lectures start. They have a habit of riding bikes on the pavement and congregating in large groups on street corners to 'shoot the breeze'. This is ever so slightly irritating. It seems anyone over the age of 30 is completely invisible. A few stop to talk to Sophie but the majority are lost in their own, headphone wearing, world. I reckon 25% of students wear those great big wireless headphones with the 1930's pilot look. Another 25% make do with AirPods. There are scores of bikes parked outside Starbucks and Pret a Manger.


A Christmas store is already open for start of day ornament buyers. I guess we must be getting close to their busy time although they seem to have a stream of customers all through the year. Kilt wearing bears with angel wings are a speciality.


Onto the bookstore to pick up the Haberman book. We also buy a new biography of Harold Wilson. The young German lady behind the counter ignores me but has a long chat with Sophie. You'd think that after a semi reclusive lifetime in a small French village Sophie would view talkative book shop staff with suspicion. Not a bit of it. Sophie lives with an unquenchable belief in the Jaffa Cake dispensing kindness of strangers. This morning she's disappointed on the Jaffa Cake front but does get a small red biscuit in the shape of a bone.


The Haberman book ( or the few pages I've read of it ) seems 'hard hitting '. 


A quick detour for sausages from the butchers. Sophie has to remain in the car. She considers this 'exclusion'  to be cruel and unusual punishment.


This is playing on the radio as we drive home. How many students would know of  Dolly Parton or have heard the song before ? Angus puts the windows down and sings along. Sophie, sitting in the back, enjoys the ear lifting gale. Life for a nearly 10 year old PON lady is wonderful : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUiWrOtAFL8



10 comments:

Lisa in France said...

The excerpts coming out from the Haberman book are lots of fun, apart from being quite terrifying, and remind me what a New York phenomenon The Former Guy is (as is Maggie Haberman herself). I've been going back and forth with myself whether I'm willing to hand over the amount of mental real estate required to read the entire book, but in any event it seems it won't be released in Japan until November. Your picture today brought back fond memories of that bookstore - you had mentioned it in a post and I recognized it walking back into town after visiting the athletic facility at St. Andrews with my son. We all emerged with many more books than are wise to buy on an international trip

Liz Hamblyn said...

A lovely choice of song at this time to remember the passing of the Queen of Country music.

Poppy Q said...

A good bookshop is essential in a new town.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I'm sure they've heard of Dolly Parton - Loretta Lynn might be more of a mystery to this generation.

When the Christmas Shop opened in Dunoon a few years back, I wondered how it would keep going... it has, and is clearly not as singular as I believed it to be!!! YAM xx

Coppa's girl said...

When I worked, one of my favourite ways to spend my lunch time was in a bookshop. No big bookshops here - something I miss. Though must confess to buying most of my books for my Kindle. They take up much less space!
How sad that the nice lady in the bookshop doesn't know about Jaffa cakes.
Did you buy an extra sausage or two at the butchers?

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than Dolly, Tammy and Loretta!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I've got a new van that doesn't have the 'satellite radio' that I'd gotten used to in my last one, and I would gladly settle for a good old country tune over the chatter on 'FM radio' for my commute.

And I can see why Sophie wouldn't agree with the 'exclusion' at the butchers - The 'Tomahawk steaks' in the picture is swoon-worthy for any meat lover.

Travel said...

How will the headphones and near constant screen time shape the current youth? How will it shape the leaders of the future? Love the bookstore. Undecided on spending that much time reading about he who must not be named.

Jake of Florida said...

I agree with Travel...how much time does one want to spend? And yet I don't seem able to resist many of the successive portrayals and revelations.

Diaday said...

My dog loved slurping from puddles, especially ones that had decaying leaves. A puddle lit by distant galaxies must taste heavenly!