Sunday, October 2, 2022

Bumpkins.

 

Nine o'clock on Saturday night. The peace of the coastline shattered by a series of loud bangs. Sophie leads us out across the garden and onto the farm track to see what's going on. The organizers of a major golf tournament are having a farewell party at the large 5 star hotel on the other side of the sand bar. There is a firework display that goes on for a full twenty minutes and can't have left much change from a million dollars ( I was going to say a million pounds but the two currencies are the same these days ). Dog and owners stand by the stone walls and watch rockets light up the sky to the north. We may look like country bumpkins but you take your excitement where you can in a small Scottish village. This morning a fleet of helicopters has started to ferry the golfers back to the airport in Edinburgh. Somewhere along the line golf became a ' this is my private jet' type sport.


A slightly less 'red' start to the day. The dawn brings with it a gun metal grey sea. There must be strong winds forecast as there are four oil rigs seeking shelter in the bay.


The village fisherman who sells us langoustine shows up in his new burnt orange metallic Nissan EV. Who would make a car in that colour ? Who would buy it ? It is certainly 'visible'. He knows that Angus likes lemon sole and has brought along four large fillets. ' You'll not find any fresher. Landed this morning'.  


Lemon sole used to be easy to find but is now hard to track down. Is it all sent abroad or has it been overfished ? He'll add it onto the next langoustine bill.


Sophie paddles through puddles then stops to watch the first flock of geese come noisily honking across the fields. They do a 180 degree turn and land in the field by the gate. Life is never dull when you're a Polish Lowland Sheepdog lady of a certain age.


Coming soon to a street where you've parked :https://twitter.com/justcurious1313/status/1575661610147860481


8 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Fireworks... all that money up in smoke and to ***L with the environment. Pretty? Yes. But so are the stars.

And I lament the fact that the lovely metallic Burnt Orange colour is not on the palette of the Ford Transit EVan I am dreaming of buying before I reach relicensable age...

Morning all! YAM xx

Tigger's Mum said...

Over here we are all taken by that parking (tow away) gizmo. You could park your car in some otherwise inaccessible parks.

WFT Nobby said...

I'm calling that Sophie's quizzical look in the last photo. Perhaps wondering where the geese will fly next.

Coppa's girl said...

One of those tow away gizmo's (an apt description) would be ideal for me as parking slots here are undersized and often difficult to manoeuvre into - especially when parking nose to tail. Yesterday I parked next to a new metallic burnt orange Nissan EV and thought I wouldn't mind one that colour!
Freshly caught Lemon Sole - what bliss - not sure we have it here - must check my dictionary.
Fireworks and geese - Sophie's life is never dull!

Camille said...

We had lemon sole for dinner just last night and I wondered if it was truly lemon sole as it's also rare to find over here. However, I do trust my fish guy and it turned out to be fresh and delicious. I love how Sophie has adapted so well to her new environment. I also long for a little gossip regarding the ROF and the villagers over in France profonde

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

Delightful photos for a Sunday morning! I laughed out loud seeing Sophie standing in the puddle.

Travel said...

Fresh fish sounds wonderful, I have owned a few bright cars, you could try it.Easier to find in a car park.

rottrover said...

I think of Sophie's pose in the last picture as 'classic Sophie'. Beautiful. But Fireworks, sunrises, puddles, freshly delivered sole! You've moved another type of paradise!

I watched an old Anthony Bourdain show last night in which he visited Provence. SO beautiful. I wonder how long before you and The Font (and maybe Sophie) make a trip back to France Profounde for a visit. Maybe mid-winter. Or after 40 straight days of rain!

Also, thanks for the report on the Double-jab experience. I'm scheduled for the 24th. I recently had a very unpleasant experience with a shingles vaccine (and still have to get the second dose) so I want to be prepared for all things side-effect!