Saturday, October 15, 2022

What counts as exotic.

 


Another clear start to the day but there is a decidedly nippy wind blowing down from Norway. Angus is wearing  four layers and will make a mental note to wear five ... or possibly six.... on tomorrows start of day walk. The hat with ear flaps may be brought out of storage. Sophie , wrapped up in a long fur coat, is of course absolutely delighted with these frigid conditions. She has rediscovered the energy levels of earlier days.  Across the bay black clouds are building up in readiness for the heavy rain that is forecast for this afternoon. Grass is already starting to grow in the  fields that were ploughed just ten days ago. Angus planted out twenty peony plants yesterday. This chill wind makes him wonder if he should have planted them deeper.


A quiet dog owners start to the day. Sophie stands in a puddle for a drink. She also glares at a gaggle of geese.


We return to the dog friendly cafe. There is still only a skeleton staff. They can just about  do coffee for me and a bowl of water for Sophie. This morning we're the only customers.  The coffee comes with a cube of Tablet. Is this super sweet delicacy known anywhere outside Scotland ? 'The Font' would definitely not approve of Angus having a sugar infusion this early in the day. Sophie has part of a ( stale ) oatcake. It should be noted that 'staleness' in no way inhibits Sophie's enjoyment.


The cafe will sell a small bottle of Port to go with your meal. I've seen Port sold by the glass but not, I think, by the bottle. For a cafe in Scotland this is what counts as exotic. 



11 comments:

Virginia said...

If your "tablet" is intensely sweet, it might be well boiled Fudge. If fudge is made with less cream, it's more brittle and less sticky. Tastes great still. (What the Font doesn't know she won't "anxt" about! )

Tigger's Mum said...

Tablet is definitely known, made and consumed outside of Scotland; just known by other names. Why do you suppose Scots went out to distant places like Dunedin, brought all their customs and tradiitions with the and then called a lot of them by different names?

WFT Nobby said...

Tablet is a standing joke among my English friends. Along with butteries it confirms the stereotypes about Scots and their unhealthy diets. Personally, on a cold morning I enjoy a wee square of tablet along with a strong cup of fresh coffee.
Cheers! Gail.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Six quid for a Gunner these days??? Gone are the times of 50p a pint cheap nights out... mind you, it is 40 years since I did 'nights out'!!! As for Sophie's enjoyment of stale oatcakes, she and I again may have something in common. YAM xx

Travel said...

Such a refreshing way to start the day

Pam in NH said...

I am loving Scotland almost as much as our Sophie!

Melinda from Ontario said...

I've never actually heard of tablet but it does look very similar to fudge. I haven't had a piece of fudge for years but your post has triggered a strong craving in me for it. A small piece of chocolate fudge would be lovely with afternoon coffee.

Sharon said...

The tablet looks like caramel fudge. I live in Canada where cold weather clothing is a must. The weather where I live is currently ranging from 4C to 14C. As we get closer to January the weather can drop to -20C with wind chill of -30C. This is the north shore of Lake Ontario near Kingston. I usually wear three layers. Bottoms -layer one silk, layer two merino layer three fleece lined pants. Tops - layer one cotton t-shirt, layer two heavier cotton or flannel or cashmere, layer three cashmere. Only down filled coats with hoods keep me warm. I have two, one knee length, one almost ankle length. Even dogs wear coats and some wear boots, but I'm sure Sophie will love the cold weather. Has she seen snow?

Lizzie said...

As I've aged, I find I can not endure cold weather. Have taken to spending winters in Bermuda where it stays above 15C.

Coppa's girl said...

Remembering the "delectables" that Sophie enjoyed on your walks in France, a stale oatcake is surely the height of deliciousness!
Inca and I have just come in from the garden where our outdoor thermometer registers 34º - in the sun! My computer tells me it's 26º and partly sunny. The sky is a cloudless deep blue in one direction and almost white over the valley below. A very pleasant autumnal day and at least 16º cooler than most days last summer. Lots of people at the beach this morning and many swimming in the sea. Seems we're having a late influx of holidaymakers.


~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

We're at about 3 layers in the morning here in Virginia. But I think I need to get out more because I had no idea what a 'Tablet' was. I found a recipe that I thought sounded like our fudge, but I read that it differs in its texture and fudge is much softer, but they both are truly a sugar infusion!