Thursday, July 18, 2024

Shopping around.

An unusual sight as we wait outside the Italian coffee shop. A dozen boy scouts from Amarillo walking down to the cathedral . They're all wearing ten gallon hats . The boy scouts have that seriousness of purpose that only early teens can muster. A small furry dog being taken for a walk by its mistress sees this phalanx of hats moving towards it and segues into defence mode. The boy scouts quickly - and sensibly - move away from it.


A sailing ship out in the bay. Not so long ago this would have been a common sight. Now the early morning joggers stop to photograph it.


To the book store to pick up a new biography of Zhou Enlai. 


There is a book ' Collectible Golf balls' in the book store window. Who knew this was a thing ? The world is indeed a strange and wonderful place.     


The wine cellar is running low. Angus has ordered some light Italian Fiano di Avellino and Greco di Tufo as summer tippling. Amazingly it got to 25 degrees here yesterday so we were able to have dinner outside. We  are trying a new St Joseph recommended by the wine merchant but sticking with a Crozes that we know. Wine is 30% dearer than in France but careful shopping around can mitigate the pain.

7 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Much to savour in this post today, and not just the wine choices. I love the boys in the Texan hats steering clear of the wee dog, and am encouraged by the idea of a new source of antibiotics. Nobby appreciated the final sentence of the first link: "The story is really about how good dogs were, not how bad pigs were.”
Thanks for a great start to the day.
Cheers! Gail.

jabblog said...

There is some hope for the future of antibiotics.

Linda said...

I lived 40km north of Crozes-Hermitage during my year in France as an English language assistante as part of my French degree. Having recently unearthed the letters I wrote home to my parents during that year. I was invited often to meals at teachers' houses, and recorded these in mouthwatering detail. Crozes-Hermitage wines featured frequently, along with Côte Rôtie and Condrieu. I didn't realise how lucky I was!

Coppa's girl said...

My first Labrador knew all about collectable golf balls - helped by the fact that we lived next to the local golf club!
At last Google has allowed me to comment again!

Travel said...

I would think that someone who collected golf balls, was a little bit strange.

rottrover said...

Zhou Enlai...That's a name I haven't heard or thought about in 50 yeas. And there's his biography - right next to Taylor Swift, Harry Styles and Billie Eilish! What a world.

Anonymous said...

I always learn something from the links you post. Thank you. Book review of the Zhou Enlai when you finish it please.