Friday, May 22, 2020

Fishing.


The eaves of The Rickety Old Farmhouse alive with nesting, argumentative, sparrows. As we head out for the PONettes pre-dawn comfort break a dozen young ones fly down and settle on the grass. They exude a 'What joy to be alive' spirit. Sophie considers chasing young sparrows to be beneath her dignity so they are left alone. She's saving her energy for the brown C-A-T that's taken to sleeping on the log pile in the barn.

Lots to talk about with men in dark suits. Poor Hong Kong. Pompeos dog walker. Was Open Skies important ?  Sometimes it's a relief to head off in the car to the stream and leave human affairs behind. When we get to the valley Sophie leaps down and races to the waterfall.  What better way to start a day than a long beard drenching drink from a stream ? Sophie tries to fish for minnows but they dart too quickly for her paws to get anywhere near them. This doesn't stop her trying.


One of the farmers has set up a bird scarer which makes a most almighty bang every two and a half minutes. Sophie is not keen on angry sounds. Our walk is curtailed and she's soon back in the car. Coaxing her on is a waste of time. The family diva has made up her mind.


It's going to be a hot one today. The weather forecast on the radio ' chaleur, chaleur, chaleur'.

Lockdown genius. A site that rates those rooms in the background of video interviews : https://twitter.com/ratemyskyperoom



10 comments:

Lisa in France said...

Oh my, Art Buchwald! I hope that bird scarer is only a short-term thing - it would be a shame if it continues to interrupt Sophie's morning perambulations. I'm off to pick up Cherry at the groomers in 15 minutes. We asked them to use the clippers, but after assessing the mass of knots and mats, they called and asked if it would be OK if they just scissored her coat down to 3/4 inch. I'm not sure I'm ready for this!

Angus said...

Be brave ! A shorn PON will pull out all the stops on the guilt inducing ' give me a cookie ' routine.

WFT Nobby said...

The roomrater is hilarious. I note there are a lot of 'raise that camera' comments. In this household I find that placing my MacBook on seven volumes of the Blog2Print hardback volumes of Bertie's blog prevents the dreaded double chin/camera up nostrils effect!
Meanwhile Bertie would like to offer to sort out that bird scarer for Sophie. If only travel were allowed....
Cheers, Gail.

Taste of France said...

Roomrater is great! I skyped a professor with the most awesome art behind her. She admitted she bought it fo $10 at a Goodwill. Will raise my camera on my next video call. Happily, I'm not on TV anymore.
If it's this hot in mid-May, what's to become of us come July? My garden is parched. The acacia trees already have yellow leaves.

Angus said...

It's unusual to be out at six am in shirtsleeves and already commenting on the heat. Sophie is decidedly unhappy after ten thirty. I've just tried to walk her down to the waterfall but we made it a couple of hundred years and she retraced her steps. I was also beginning to fret about what July and August might have in store for us.

Coppa's girl said...

Hot here too - 35ÂșC in full sun, in our front courtyard just after 9a.m. this morning, so it's warming up nicely. A welcome change after such a wet spring. We'll soon need to go out much earlier on our morning walk to be able to enjoy the cool temperatures that shade brings.
Looking round my living room - it's perhaps as well that I don't give video interviews!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I'll trade you some heat (and dry) for the wild wind and cold wet stuff drumming upon the Hutch's window right now... YAM xx

Angus said...

Both my brothers were on the phone complaining of the 'island' weather .

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Sunny here, but no heat in it. Only reaching 13°C today. Cats definitely need to be chased....
Seems the short bond of comradery here, has changed from 'we're all in this together' to politicians back to sniping at one another. Cabin fever, perhaps?

Poppy Q said...

Slightly cloudy here but a mild 16C which is warm for almost winter.

The twitter is pretty funny. I do like the hostage ones.