Saturday, March 21, 2020

Un-French.


The weather is good which makes this period of self isolation easier to bear. Sophie gets double walks. Pre-breakfast with Angus, post-breakfast with 'The Font'. A similar distribution of labour pre and post lunch and then again pre and post dinner.


Thanks to all this exercise the family diva is sleeping like a log.

Loic the heavily bifocaled gardener shows up. This is a surprise. I ask him about whether he's asked the matron of his home if it's wise for him to be out. He looks at me blankly.  As he will be blowing leaves in the fresh air far away from anyone else it seems unwise to burden him with worries. Let Gods happy ones be happy.


The courier men have now taken to delivering parcels to the town hall terrace. This is presumably so they don't have to come face to face with us. Printer paper and Amazon books are found and carried home. This system works here but what about in less law abiding town centres ?


The Simnel cake ordered yesterday also arrives on the town hall terrace together with a very British coffee and walnut sponge. Even 'The Font' , who does not have a sweet tooth, finds it delicious and utterly un-French.



The tikes mother would probably agree with this sentiment : https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1241017604103376896

Some questions don't have an easy answer :  https://twitter.com/CALM_Taylor/status/1240669226890858499

My parents generation but amazing she's just had her 103rd birthday. Would a group of airmen be that well behaved today ? :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5C4meGkNyc


11 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

In this household, the motto has always been "a well-walked dog is a good dog"!
My WW2 pilot father was to the end a perfect gentleman, but when in a nursing home at the end of his life and with dementia, he remained enough clarity to dislike the assumption that everyone of his generation would want to listen to Vera Lynn all the time. He would have much preferred that the home brought in an orchestra to play a Mahler symphony for him!
Cheers, Gail.

suej said...

Thank you again for the laughter. I'm still chuckling. Stay safe.

Coppa's girl said...

That coffee and walnut cake looks as though it has been travelling....!

Lisa in France said...

The ROF looks particularly lovely today, with the peonies and daisies.

Camille said...

And now I want chocolate walnut cake for breakfast. Lucky Sophie to enjoy so many walks a day! I won't mention this to Dottie Dog...she'll be quite miffed at the thought she's only getting pre breakfast and after dinner outings. I always enjoy the links Angus. They provide an interesting view of the world and give me a smile.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Now, I do hope Angus remembered to wash his hands thoroughly after handling the packaging from the delivered goods... YAM xx

Sheila said...

Happy to hear that Loic is out and about. The thought had occurred that since no one was allowed inside the residence, no one would be able to leave. Visiting the ROF must mean a great deal to him.

Here's hoping you don't mow down too many of those daisies.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

Things will still get delivered to our doors but many wont let you sign if need be. The communication takes place better the doors or they just leaf it. We are all home so things won't be outside long!

Coppa's girl said...

Oh dear, I do wish you hadn't posted the picture of that coffee and walnut cake! With time on my hands I'm tempted to make one, but realise that I gave all my baking tins away ages ago!
How ridiculous is this - I have just found out that we are only allowed to walk our dogs 50 metres from the house! We won't get beyond our garden gate if I take that literally! Inca and I have been doing very well, and have had two walks a day, but if I take any notice of this we'll just have to run up and down our rather steep driveway!
I'm not sure if we will get anything in the way of post. The Post Office stopped delivering to our post boxes months ago, and has now closed indefinitely. I can't go in to pick up my post, as I have been doing. There is probably a ban on the private delivery companies too, by now.

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

I think anything left here, wouldn't be there long.

Taste of France said...

"We'll Meet Again" is on my teen's Spotify playlist. Vera Lynn still rules, with a new generation.