Saturday, November 28, 2020

Boredom ?


Sophie's enthusiasm for the new day reminds me why owning a dog during a lockdown is a must. Boredom ? No such thing exists when there are C-A-T-S to chase, scents to sniff and drainage ditches to explore.

At the storm drain Sophie is told, as she's told every morning, that this is her home. The mud on her paws tell you that she's quite aware of this. She ignores the friendly horse that wanders over, as it wanders over every morning, to peer at her quizzically. Routines, in a PON household, are sacred.


Here in France C-19 infection rates are falling fast. The lockdown may be lifted - or at least eased - on December 15th. Our first trip will be to the fancy greengrocers in the market town.  In Scotland the first vaccine shots in Glasgow and Edinburgh may be available in ten days.


I'm not sure what we'd do with one but how could I have not known the Irish had invented this ? : https://www.kellykettle.com/?___store=europe

A sign of the times and a more unusual Christmas present .Literally selling off the family silver :https://www.whatabuy.co.uk/british-airways

Angus used to wear something similar as a 19 year old - but in those days they cost ten bucks. The fact I notice the price - and comment on it -  another sign I've turned into my father . :https://pendletonwoolenmills.eu/collections/shirts/products/guide-shirt-red-black

6 comments:

Lisa in France said...

I think you may actually be turning into MY father. He wore exactly that Pendleton shirt whenever he was out working in the yard - it's one of my most indelible memories. I agree the British Air ad is a sign of the times, and everybody's desire just to get out of the house. Just a few weeks ago, a new store opened in the complex where I work - "Hotel Like Interior." Depends on the hotel, I suppose. Sophie does look extremely happy in that first shot. You may have trouble getting her back into the dog car when (if?) it returns.

Camille said...

Pendleton's were a common sight when I was a child and apparently, lasted forever if you kept the moths away. My Grandad frequently wore one and I can still conjure up the woolly feel and texture of the shirt as I was hugged 65 years ago. Lovely memory. Thank you Angus. Rather pricey now, but I imagine NYC hipsters adore them. Enjoyed the Graham article. It brought to mind that immortal Frost poem 'The Road Not Taken'

Fay said...

With three cardis (one about to venture into the next dimension) and a (young) standard poodle, I agree, it is not boring and certainly never lonely. As my husband says, it's like living with 4 two-year-olds, who spend all their time on the floor. I remember buying Pendleton shirts at the Goodwill in Palo Alto for $2.00, to wear as a light jacket over my t-shirts. I was always pleased to find them.

Coppa's girl said...

The Kelly kettle might be useful if your home is "all electric", and live in an area of frequent power failures. Providing you keep a supply of pine cones or sticks, you're always guaranteed boiling water for a cuppa!
Will BA be selling off their planes next?

The Life of Riley said...

A British Airways bar trolley for your new patio or pre-dinner drinks watching comedies with "The Font" could be fun! However, Qantas had the best idea to get trolleyed... they recently offered 1,000 fully stocked trolleys (with 82 bottles plus other items) for sale. https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2020/09/get-trolleyed-qantas-selling-off-drinks-trolleys-fully-stocked-with-alcohol.html

The Life of Riley said...

PS watch their video which gives a new meaning to Spirit of Australia.