Friday, November 27, 2020

Painted over.


Out for our morning walk to the storm drain. The farmer on the far side of the valley still has his apple trees wrapped in mesh to stop the flocks of finches from feasting on them. We discuss why so many people object to the candidacy of Michele Flournoy - a lady who who is both highly talented and capable. Angus wonders if some folks think she's too centrist. Sophie thinks it's probably because there's an old guard that objects to the fact that she's a woman even though France and Germany and Britain have had women in that role.

The dog car has been in the garage for three days. I called the dealership  yesterday and the service engineer ( who spoke with the speed of an Arkansas tobacco auctioneer )  informed me they were checking with the cars eyes and ears ( les yeux et oreilles de la voiture ). Presumably, this means the engine diagnostics. Since then I've heard nothing. This could imply 1) they haven't started work on it yet 2) something techno-serious has been discovered that means importing a part from Sweden or 3) the garage subscribes to the French approach to after sales service - which leans to the non-existent side of minimalist. I will call them again later today .


Sophie trots up the ramp into her oversized space in the back of the big car. We follow our walk to the storm drain with a trip to the 24 hour store in the next village. En route we notice that the skull and cross bones on the chateau gates have been painted over.


After all that excitement there's time for Sophie to empty 'The Fonts' yogurt pot then settle down outside The Rickety Old Farmhouse to recharge her batteries.


Probably the remotest self catering in Scotland. Beaches that put the Caribbean to shame.  https://www.orannamara.com/location





7 comments:

Lisa in France said...

I will admit I'd never heard of Michele Flournoy before this week, but I also don't really understand the objections and have my fingers crossed. It's so funny watching a large swathe of America just basking in the "new normality." My husband, meanwhile, is bored, so I've tried to refocus him on the Georgia Senate race, which should be sufficiently stimulating. I'm glad they've painted over the skull and cross bones have been painted over - good for a day's gossip but not very nice. I have never met an Arkansas tobacco farmer but am now intrigued. I imagine something like a Tohoko brewer - they refer to the Tohoko accent as "zuzu-ben," which may give you an idea.

Taste of France said...

The NYT has nary a word about Michele Flournoy. I think you are right about the sexism. There's quite a backlash against the progress women have made. Equality is still far off, but going beyond tokenism is just too much for some people.
I don't find that folks in the south (of France) speak fast so much as they add syllables (rose is rosa, piscine is piscina) and they roll their R's and sometimes other consonants, too. The resulting tangle is impenetrable, even to some native francophones.

WFT Nobby said...

Although Bertie has never made it to the Outer Hebrides, he can recommend several beaches in NE Scotland, less white but almost as expansive and deserted in winter (and most of our so-called 'summer').
He's wondering if Sophie's yoghurt pot has yet refilled itself...

paphosmuseum said...

You do all know that it's now illegal to discriminate in France on the basis of accent? Not so much "Bienvenu au Shti" as "Eh beh, alors"?

Sheila said...

I haven't read any direct criticism of Michele Flournoy just mostly silence. I do hope she's nominated. I always thought she would have been Hilary's choice had she won.
Wish I was planning a trip to Harris...so beautiful.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

FYI... Andrew ate half a spice cake whilst my back was turned yesterday.
Lots to be thankful for!
x

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

Hi Lisa! Living in Atlanta, I can assure you the Georgia senate race is well worth keeping up with. You have selected very well to cure your husband’s boredom!